Q about security issues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q about security issues...

I know what the best would be for the most security, but frankly to much PC security screws up alot of online gaming IMO.

For instance, reading the read me for GRAW... there 14 different ports that need to be open in order to host your own server and have it listed.

My q. if you have good virus, anti-spam, and pop up blocker software programs running... would your system really be at a big risk if you just made your game router a DMZ, which opens all the ports, so you can host and play online games without problems.

I am sick of dealing with ports and trial and errors to get a quick online game going... theres GOT to be a better way.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: Q about security issues...

Look for the UPnP setting in your router. It is "supposed" to take care of all the port forwarding automagically.. May be slightly more secure than a DMZ.
    Battlefield Admin() ()
    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
    | for | |

Comment

I think the program has to be able to use UPnP to get the router to automatically forward the correct ports.

I think you'll be fine setting your router to DMZ. You've got anti-virus and other things running. If you want the kind of security a router's firewall can give you, get a software firewall. I've used Sygate's Personal firewall and liked it. I'm not too fond of Norton's firewall. It's got too many popup notifications and I couldn't figure out how to disable it.

Realistically, I don't think we have to be this paranoid about intrusions unless you run a web server or peer-to-peer apps 24/7. If I close my P2P apps, my firewall logs don't show any suspicious activity like port scans. Start running the P2P apps... the logs show suspicious activity again.

You'll be fine if you don't advertise yourself and you have good anti-virus protection. A lot of anti-virus apps include the automatic email scans and check the content coming from websites before it runs. Those are the main concerns and a router's firewall won't help much there.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

thx... think I like how it works, I can easily turn it off and on when I want to host a game.
        Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X