Network problems.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network problems.....

I have a problem that started a couple of days ago....

When using firefox or IE pages load slowly or sometimes not at all..i get a not found page instead.
    and games that require a login to a server simply will not login....
    i mean Bf2 and its various mods and World of warcraft simply will not log in.

i have tried resetting the router and modem (cable) and reinstalling (updating) my ethernet card drivers.... i can log onto both games using the same router and internet connection from another computer in the house on the network....

it doesnt seem to be a top speed issue either as i can download at 600k/sec still

any ideas before i just reinstall windows?
    Last edited by freekyE; 09-27-2006, 03:17 PM.

Re: Network problems.....

Run a ping command to some site like google and look for lost packets. If you lose some then just ping the inside of your router and look for the same thing. Traceroute may help as well.
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

:( lets pretend im not a network administrator......

i dont know how to do that stuff.....

Comment

Windows key + R -> cmd -> ping google.com
        I don't know what your router IP is but it's probably something like
        ping 192.168.0.1
        or
        ping 192.168.1.1
        |TG| Lorian
        Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Do you have a Firewall? Are you using DSL or Cable. Does your modem or router have any logs you could look through. Are you using a static IP?

Go to start Run. Type CMD. Type ping www.google.com. Type Ipconfig/all. Type Ipconfig/flushdns. Type Ipconfig/release. Type Ipconfig/renew.

I'm certain someone here is a network administrator and will help you. Anyway try what I wrote.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

I'm no Windows user, but shouldn't the ipconfig and the /whatever be seperated by a space?
            |TG| Lorian
            Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Lorian View Post
              I'm no Windows user, but shouldn't the ipconfig and the /whatever be seperated by a space?
              yep
              Retired 6th DB

Comment

Usually there is a space but it works either way for me.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

ok...i did all that (works without spaces) and no dice......:(

ill wait till tomorrow morning till i reinstall...if no more suggestions then ill go ahead with it.....

its not a huge deal but as most of you know that once you get windows the way you want it its a real pain in the @$$ to get it back.

im worried that my network adapter might be going fruity on me.....i can just plug a new one into a pci slot and disable the mobo one in bios cant i?

anyway, thanks to you guys whove tried to help so far!!

Comment

Spyware/virus sweep, with a side of defrag for good measure.

If that doesn't fix it, then it's probably time for your semi-annual windows reinstall anyway ;)

Yes, you can install a new network adapter in a PCI slot. You don't even have to disable the onboard if you don't want to.
                    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                      Spyware/virus sweep, with a side of defrag for good measure.

If that doesn't fix it, then it's probably time for your semi-annual windows reinstall anyway ;)

Yes, you can install a new network adapter in a PCI slot. You don't even have to disable the onboard if you don't want to.
                      yup, that was the first thing i tried.....oh well, i havent done a full format reinstall for quite a while........

Comment

Originally posted by freekyE View Post
                        ok...i did all that (works without spaces) and no dice......:(

ill wait till tomorrow morning till i reinstall...if no more suggestions then ill go ahead with it.....

its not a huge deal but as most of you know that once you get windows the way you want it its a real pain in the @$$ to get it back.

im worried that my network adapter might be going fruity on me.....i can just plug a new one into a pci slot and disable the mobo one in bios cant i?

anyway, thanks to you guys whove tried to help so far!!
                        What do you mean by "No dice"? I assume you mean that you suffered no packet loss.

If you just have 1 computer then you could pull out your router and hook directly to the cable modem. Make sure you have at least windows fire wall turned on. Use the system like that for a couple of days to see if it's any better. I have seen flakey routers and switches cause intermittent problems.

Personally I would avoid reinstalling XP but it is up to you. Some people reinstall regularly. I haven't done an XP reinstall in a couple of years now.
                        Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
                          What do you mean by "No dice"? I assume you mean that you suffered no packet loss.

If you just have 1 computer then you could pull out your router and hook directly to the cable modem. Make sure you have at least windows fire wall turned on. Use the system like that for a couple of days to see if it's any better. I have seen flakey routers and switches cause intermittent problems.

Personally I would avoid reinstalling XP but it is up to you. Some people reinstall regularly. I haven't done an XP reinstall in a couple of years now.
                          Yeah, i got no packet loss...
                          i have three computers on that router so i cant just let them go....besides, the other two work absolutely fine.
                          that leads me to believe it is a software/hardware issue with this(my main) pc

i hadnt had to reinstall in this machine for quite a while...so, ill be back up and running normal in a couple o days

Comment

Ok then good luck. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
                            Retired 6th DB

Comment

ive reinstalled....xp so far and drivers....

hey no problem wimp! its hard as hell to diagnose something when youre not sitting in front of it.

Thank you and the rest of you for trying to help!
                              btw, the reinstall seems to have fixed the problem.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X