security for a computer novice who can afford licenses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• security for a computer novice who can afford licenses

I've got a lady I'm helping set up her new machine. She doesn't care about computers except as they enable her to run her business, and I want to create a security environment for her that protects her without interrupting her.

I need help with the security software, as I'm not sure the nerd choices I make for my machine are best for her (maybe they are). She can afford licenses, but she's got the savvy to not purchase things she doesn't need. As I'm spending her money, I'd like to apply that same savvy to my efforts.

Nothing in security is perfect. So, I really just need trustworthy titles for each area of concern: antivirus, antispyware, and ... a firewall?

She's behind a router at home, and it's got a firewall built into it. But she'll travel with the machine. Should I put firewall software on her machine? Is XP's built-in firewall sufficient? Does the fact that she'll usually be behind the hardware firewall at home make the XP firewall sufficient when you'd otherwise recommend something more powerful (if it were the only protection all the time)?

She already knows the name "Norton". She's comfortable with it. Norton Antivirus (trial or something, I'm sure) came with the machine. Should I just say "screw it" and set her up with Norton for antivirus (again, she can afford the licenses), or should I use one of the free titles? Why?

Similarly, should I just go with Norton for Antispyware? I prefer Windows Defender, and I'm not familiar with Norton's offering in this area, but I've got a feeling it's all going to come out in the wash.

In summary: What security software combination do you recommend I put on this novice's machine? And why? (this can be commentary on the software titles you recommend, novice users' needs, and anything in between)
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: security for a computer novice who can afford licenses

AVG because its free and works really well as a anti virus. Its not a resource hog like Norton and Macafee. And you can use the Free zone alarm for her firewall if needed. Both are free and easy to set up. You can setup AVG to update in the early morning and then it will run its scan right after its updated.

For spyware get microsofts defender. That thing is amazing, again low resources and is updated with all the microsoft updates. Gets more junk deleted then the others ive tried.

Her microsoft firewall should do plenty when she is traveling and that Router will work just fine.

If you feel more comfortable buying the software get this its the avg plus firewall and a 2 year agreement for 50 bucks. Ive heard alot of good things about that package.

I use all free software and have never had any problems. Well no problems that couldnt be fixed in 5 minutes with those software titles. Another thing to consider for security is Firefox, try that out on there as well.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

I would go with Norton AV, since she trusts the name. If you can assure her that AVG is trustworthy, I think it's just as good as Norton.

I'd go with Norton or Microsoft for spyware protection, too. Again, the trust issue.

For software firewall, I can't recommend MS's Window firewall. It doesn't stop outgoing traffic at all (which does no good when dealing with nasty malware). I'd recommend ZoneAlarm. I don't think that there's anything lacking in the free version if you have other spyware and AV protection.

On the other hand, it might be easiest to just go with Norton for everything. You can usually get Norton Systemworks with Norton Personal Security for under $50 at CompUSA or Fry's (after rebate).
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I am running Norton's Internet Security. It has all the bells and whistles she would need. I have had no problem running anything with Norton's running in the background. Microsoft defender is also a good choice for her to have.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Another vote for Norton if you want to create a security environment for her that protects her without interrupting her.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Can't use the free stuff if she's using it in a business.. most likely.
            Battlefield Admin() ()
            [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
            [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
            | for | |

Comment

At work we recommend for new computers that we sell Norton Internet Security and Webroot Spysweeper. Any new computer will be able to run both of these programs in the background and they are simple to use.
              -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

AVG plus Firewall is very good.

Personally i think you'll end up having to service Norton products that she won't understand. Maybe that's a good thing though? :P

- -

Comment

Perry brings up a good point, all of the free stuff can be used for normal use, but not all can be used for commercial use. Norton covers all except spyware, which MS Defender can sweep up.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X