Video problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video problems

I was having issues with my GF 5700LE graphics card, so I picked up a cheat 6200 a few days ago. Now, whenever I click on any video file, my PC grinds to a halt, and CPU usage goes up to 100% and stays there. I've tried reformatting and reinstalling, this time using the classic explorer view, with no previews. I can select graphics files, but still grind to a halt when trying to play them.

I don't believe the files are the issue, as my linux partition plays them without any problems, but it's not convenient to reboot every time I want to watch a quick video clip.

Nothing else graphics-wise appears to be an issue. I've got the latest nvidia drivers installed. Trillian used to cause me a similar problem, but only when I used it for IRC access. I still install trillian from the same copy of the install file, but no longer have the problem.

Any suggestions?
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Re: Video problems

Use Linux and boot into Windows only for games. Problem solved.

To be more helpful, try playing the files in Media Player Classic.

Seriously though, why don't you use Linux full time? Once you get used to it it is so much better than Windows.
    |TG| Lorian
    Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Lorian View Post

To be more helpful, try playing the files in Media Player Classic.
      Thanks, I'll try that. I should have been clearer in my original post - I'm getting the problem with media player, VLC, winamp, quicktime and real player.

Seriously though, why don't you use Linux full time? Once you get used to it it is so much better than Windows.
      I can get ubuntu to read my NTFS and FAT32 partitions, but I can't get it to write to them.

I can't get my wireless network dongle to work, despite it coming with linux drivers.

I don't have cedega, and currently, don't have the patience to try and install it anyway.
      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

As for writing to NTFS and FAT32 partitions, there aren't any foolproof ways yet. There are some options (ntfsprog?), but those can cause corruption and filedamage. I just open the file and then do a save as... to my linux partition. Then I can read/write it from the linux partition.

Comment

Originally posted by Acid View Post
          As for writing to NTFS and FAT32 partitions, there aren't any foolproof ways yet. There are some options (ntfsprog?), but those can cause corruption and filedamage. I just open the file and then do a save as... to my linux partition. Then I can read/write it from the linux partition.
          When I used xandros, it wrote to FAT32 out of the box. It doesn't, however, play DVD, whereas ubuntu does, not to mention it's a whole lot easier to set up and install extra apps.
          BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Try using older drivers like:

Use driver cleaner first

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

It sounds to me like it's your Hard Drive that's clogging up. Have you run error checking (full) and defrag?

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
                It sounds to me like it's your Hard Drive that's clogging up. Have you run error checking (full) and defrag?
                I'll run error checking, but prior to reformatting, I was leaving my PC on at night to defrag, and the defrag program also had something running in services all the time, I suspect so that it could defrag on the fly. I just tried a video file that's on a DVD, and had the same error.
                BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X