Boot Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot Problem

Old girl I know got hit by a storm, surge knocked out her PC. She bought a new mobo and a new processor (switched from Intel to AMD). Booting up normally causes a redundant reboot before Windows loads. Safe-Mode will boot up.

Same hard-drive still in the PC, same OS (bootleg XP... yeah I know).

I figure the hard-drive got fried in the surge. Any clarification?

-Mom
    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Re: Boot Problem

The symptom you describe is very much like the situation I encountered as my previous hard drive was suffering from physical corruption issues.

I'd tend to concur with your diagnosis. If it'll boot SOMETHING, try to get what you can off of it, because it's likely running on fumes.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Yer Mom View Post
      Old girl I know got hit by a storm, surge knocked out her PC. She bought a new mobo and a new processor (switched from Intel to AMD). Booting up normally causes a redundant reboot before Windows loads. Safe-Mode will boot up.

Same hard-drive still in the PC, same OS (bootleg XP... yeah I know).

I figure the hard-drive got fried in the surge. Any clarification?

-Mom
      An XP installation is hardware specific. Your previous OS install will not run; that new hardware is too different. You either need to re-install or do a repair install.

From the horse's mouth (see the &#171;replace a failed motherboard&#187; section).

DB
      Last edited by Dick Blonov; 10-02-2006, 01:44 PM. Reason: Added link

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I've got a similar prob. regarding boot. (Sorry if I hijack this but it's pretty relevant IMO). Last thurs. I had to do a physical shutdown because xp locked up. When I fired her back up, it took forever for windows to load. It stayed in the windows knightrider screen for about 2 mins. and it's been like that since. No problems w/things crashing or not responding, but the windows boot takes a lot longer than it used to now. Any suggestions?
        |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
        [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
          An XP installation is hardware specific. Your previous OS install will not run; that new hardware is too different. You either need to re-install or do a repair install.

DB
          Assuming it is a legal install then she can call Microsoft to get a code to unlock the system. That doesn't sound like the problme here though.

Have you tested the RAM? There are several freeware apps that will run the RAM through diagnostics to tell you if something is broke. Memtest 86 works pretty well:

http://www.memtest86.com/
          Last edited by Wimpinator; 10-02-2006, 01:09 PM. Reason: added link
          Retired 6th DB

Comment

Reading over your problem again it may be a driver assuming that safe mode works.
            Retired 6th DB

Comment

To be sure the best bet is to format and reinstall.
              [defense]

Comment

@ claw

Long bootups like that are caused by XP trying to establish a connection/ read a file in the computer, which may have become corrupted when it locked up. It may take it a bit to figure out to skip it and move on.

Comment

Acid, so what should I do, just let xp do it's thing and hope it'll fix itself or is there something else? Please don't tell me reformat lol, I just did one not too long ago!
                  |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                  [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

What were you doing when it locked up? Go back to whatever files were opened and see if they are corrupted. It shouldn't happen with the files though, this normally happens with hardware, so you might want to check you hardware to make sure it wasn't damaged. XP finds what hardware is attached to it, and a damaged piece of hardware may just take a while to respond, or XP may be waiting a long time until it passes over it.

Comment

Try running Bootvis to optimize the boot time. I'm not sure if it'll work since I never found it to significantly change my boot time. Definitely check out the network issue. Try taking out your network card or disabling onboard networking to see if the issue disappears. If XP is taking a long time with the networking, check network shares you may have and reinstall your networking hardware.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Whew, saw the thread topic and thought you guys were complaining about me. :p

Comment

Acid, when it locked up, I was shutting her down. I haven't had any errors w/anything since, so I assume everything is still running fine, just the long boot times. Weird.
                          |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                          [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

@claw

When you shut it down, did you hard drop the power, or did the automatic shut down continue?

My teacher in class recently had a problem exactly as you described. The OS all-of-a-sudden started taking 15-20 minutes to load up completely (windows load, user sign in, etc). We went in and evaluated the problems as far as software goes, and discovered that the PC's AVG-Anti-Virus had contracted a virus inside of its .dll files which were used on startup. I'm not exactly sure how this affected Windows loading, but it most definately did. We removed AVG and load time went from 15-20 minutes to the normal 1 minute at the most.

Just some insight.

The problem above is for a friend. My analysis of the problem (just hearing it, not seeing it) would be curropted Windows boot files or etc on the HD being that the system is suffering from catastrophic surge (lightning from a hurricane blowing in hit the PC, fried everything that wasn't component based). My suggestion was to reinstall Windows, and if that didn't work, get a new HD.

-Mom
                            Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

I hard dropped the power, the auto shutdown did not finish, my pc just froze. I do run AVG so should I run a virus scan with this or DL a different one to scan? Or should I just try uninstalling it?
                              |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                              [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...