No announcement yet.

House Monitoring Cameras --> Computer Display

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House Monitoring Cameras --> Computer Display

My dad is thinking about setting up some cameras (around 4) around the house as a security measure. Those cameras would then be hooked up to a computer who's only purpouse would be displaying those feeds on the screen. I would then set up a VNC connection so he could see the feeds from wherever he felt like.

I know how to set up the VNC and all of that, what I need to know is:

-What kind of a system do you recommend to handle the camera inputs? ie: what should we be focused on in terms of a bottleneck: RAM, CPU, GPU, ect.

-What resolution should of cameras would you recommend (and which brands) for the cameras? These are just for added security measures, but should be clear enough to distinguish faces at a good distance.

-What kind of an input would you use from camera --> PC (through the vid card, USB, ect.)?

Thanks in advance for all of your help :)

Re: House Monitoring Cameras --> Computer Display

There are a number of manufacturers of PCI based capture cards that will do this for you easily. They usually come in 4, 8 and 16 port varieties and run around $130 or so. You really don't need much of a machine to run them. Heck, you can probably run it off an old P4 or lower.

The software is really where you've got the choices. Most of the software apps that run the system are TCP/IP accessible or even have their own web servers. You can hit them with a web browser from anywhere and even control the PTZ (Pan, Tilt & Zoom) functions of the cameras (if you have cameras with that capability).

The most common cameras to use are of the "lipstick" variety and in most cases they are Sony CCD cameras in various third party housings. There is a wide variety of both B&W, Color and Color/IR camera options. Most start around the $75/each mark and go up from there.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: House Monitoring Cameras --> Computer Display

I know nothing about the quality of the item, but has wireless security cameras for sale today. You might want to check 'em out...

Warranty: 1 year

* Infrared – Night Vision – IR with 8 LED lights
      * Motion Detection Capabilities Upload Images to FTP & EMAIL
      * Input/ Output enables External Triggers and Motion Alarm Inputs
      * 802.11g & 802.11b Wireless Standards
      * Built in Microphone. For remote audio capabilities
      * Viewing with Browsers No Software needed.
      * Remote Recording and Snapshot Control on Web Page

Hardware Specifications

* Encoding Processor: JPEG encoding processor
      * Video Compression: Motion JPEG (MJPEG)
      * Audio Compress: PCM 64k bit
      * Image Resolution: 640×480 4 CIF; 320×240 CIF; 160×120
      * Image Quality: 5 levels
      * Frame Rate: Up to 30 fps at CIF (320×240); Up to 15 fps at 4 CIF (640×480)
      * Image Sensor – CMOS sensor with 307,200 Pixels (VGA)
      * Lens Type: CS Mount Lens
      * Focal Length: f = 3.2mm
      * Angle of View: 117°
      * F Number: F1.8
      * Power: 5 Volt DC
      * Temperature: Operating Temperature 0°C ~ 50°C
      * Humidity: Operating Humidity 20% ~ 80%
      * Includes: CD-ROM, Quick Installation Guide, Network Cable, Bracket, AC Adapter

* Ethernet: 100Base-TX / 10Base-T
      * Wireless (Wi-Fi): 802.11g and 802.11b standards
      * Input/ Output: 2 Sensor Input; 1 Alarm output
      * LED Status Lights: Power, LAN, WLAN
      * Night Vision: IR 8 LEDs (Auto & Manual Mode)

Software Features

* User Security: Administrator and Guest Security Levels
      * Network Setting: IP Address, Domain name (Fixed, DHCP, PPPoE, DDNS), HTTP Port number
      * Wireless Security: SSID, WEP 64 & 128bit, Ad-Hoc Mode, Infrastructure Mode
      * Image Setting: Resolution controls & frame rate controls; image Controls (Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, Sharpness, Hue)
      * Camera Setting: Camera Name, Date & Time (NTP, manual), Frequency (60/50Hz)
      * Email & FTP: Email, FTP setting (Auto & Manual)
      * Motion Detection: Enable / Disable
      * Video Recording: Manual (AVI, Microsoft DirectX 8.1, VGA Card 32bit true color)
      * Number of Users: 20 Users simultaneously
      * Operating System: Microsoft Windows ME, 2000, XP and 2003
      * Browsers: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.x or Above
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed