No announcement yet.

Just bought a new video card, problem.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a new video card, problem.

Got one of those new fangled 7900 GTO's and noticed that the only output it has is DVI and SVIDEO.

http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/512-P2-N573.pdf

Well crap! I'm still using an old 19 in big tube sucker that uses normal VGA. I also notice it requires a 450 watt power supply, which I don't think I have, lol.

Anyway, is there an adapter that turns VGA into DVI that I can pick up? When did DVI become the only option? yarr

Re: Just bought a new video card, problem.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
    My video card came with one, but you can pick them up pretty much anywhere for cheap. However, I don't think it'll help with your power problem.
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, most video cards that require DVI outputs come with converter plugs. Hell, mine came with two. They're like $5 parts.

as for power, you'll need something with a pretty hefty 12V. Any decent brand 400+W should be fine if you don't OC anything and all that.
      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

excellent hope it comes with one.

I'm not too worried about dropping coin on a new power supply as I was going to do that anyway for my next build. But a new monitor would have been a bit much.

Comment

drop me a pm if you don't get it in the box. I've got like 4 of them hanging around. I'd be glad to share.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Every video card I've ever bought came with the converter. In fact, the two cards I last bought came with two converters - one for each DVI spot.
            A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Yeah both of my 7800's came w/2 adapters each. I'm surprised it didn't come w/any bhack, especially for an evga product. You can pick them up just about anywhere though so that shouldn't be a problem. Your PSU could be a problem though so if you wre thinking about getting a new one anyways, you might as well get it now and slap it in w/your new gpu. Let me know if you can't find any adapters, I think I can dig them out as well.
              |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
              [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Hmmm, you could get eVGA to send you one but more out of principle than the cost of a $5 part. My eVGA card came with the adapters (one for each port) and their other cards should too.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by BHack View Post
                  excellent hope it comes with one.

I'm not too worried about dropping coin on a new power supply as I was going to do that anyway for my next build. But a new monitor would have been a bit much.
                  I would be careful with the power supply. I added a ATI 9800 pro to a computer I had with a power supply 50w below recomended. I ran it that way for about 4 months. It worked but when I finally upgraded I noticed some bowning on the power connector to the card. It still worked but the video card died about nine months later. I am convinced it was because the power supplie was below recomended.
                  Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                  - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                  - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                  - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                  - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                  - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                  - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

no worries, I bought a 650 watt power supply. booyah!

It even has a "turbo fan" button on the back.

OH and got two of the adapters with the card. Thanks guys.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X