GeForce 6800 Upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce 6800 Upgrade

Im looking at upgrading my graphics card from a ATi 9800 pro to a GeForce 6800. Im curious as to just how much of a difference there will be, specially when playin battlefield 2. i've been reading about how much of an improvement it really is, but im curious as to whether or not someone has been in my boat. The 9800 was the best of its type at a point and it seems vital now that another upgrade is needed. To me it seems evident that to really get the full effects of games like this or my new purchase Company of Heroes, getting the new card is important.

any input is greatly appreciated before the purchase is made.
    FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Re: GeForce 6800 Upgrade

Why not get 7600GS? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SubCategory=48
    Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

I've got an extra 6800, want it on the cheap?

Comment

Not a 7600GS, I take it, because he has an AGP motherboard. Oops nevermind. Looks like they make a 7600GS AGP model. :) Now I look stupid.

Comment

how much of a difference is there between the 7600 and the 6800? they seem to be approximately the same price.

Spartan 4

Comment

There's about a generation's worth of 3d technology between the two. A 7600GS is a much better choice.

Comment

Originally posted by viper1986 View Post
              how much of a difference is there between the 7600 and the 6800? they seem to be approximately the same price.
              Aboutt 1000 points in 3dMark 2006(I did the test a while ago).

My old 6800 Ultra gave me about 2400 points while the new 7600GS gave me 3400. Theese numbers are from memory I might be off by a couple of hundrer points.

In short there is a lot of difference. (I'll doublecheck the numbers when I come home).

Edit: It was the 7900GS I tested. So the numbers do not apply. But do not go for the 6800. The only reason I could see to get it would be price on the second hand market. Don't even consider getting it new.
              Last edited by PanzerHans; 10-09-2006, 11:42 AM.
              --
              VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Originally posted by viper1986 View Post
                The difference in price between 6800 and 7600GS is minimal, for the huge jump in performance and technology. I reckon 7600GS would be in your price range. Another step up would be 7800GS, but that would cost you $200+ USD.
                Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

If you're looking for AGP cards, check out the 7600GT AGP version by Leadtek. They are the only company I know of that makes an AGP version of the 7600GT. A very nice card that performs on par with a 7800GS while being quieter and cheaper.

Here's a review:
                  http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles...?cid=3&id=2031

newegg:
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814122009

Comment

In my opinion, I'd suggest that you'd wait for Vista, that way, you'd (hopefully) have enough money to spend on a new smoking DirectX10 compatible card.

Comment

Ok so i need some backup. I was getting into an arguement about the Geforce 7800 AGP series video card. Now he says that if i were to buy it, that it wouldn't handle any better then my current Radeon 9800 Pro. Now i've been doing my research and constantly find that the 7600 is definantly a better card cause the 9800 pro is a relatively old card. Nevermind the post i made about getting a Geforce 6800 AGP card, its priced the same as a 7600. He's actually telling me that i need to buy a new motherboard with PCI-e to really see a difference between the Geforce 7600 and my current 9800 Pro........I think he feels bad cause i might just be proving him wrong here. I just bought a new mother board last winter and don't want to cough up more money just for a new motherboard and processor.

Someone please tell me im write and my old man is wrong:)

Spartan 4

Comment

Here's a link which compares the 9800 pro to it's competitors a year and a half ago: link

And here is a current comparison of today's market. You can see on this chart the 9800 pro isn't even on the list at the very bottom. The X600 picks up that spot: link
                        New to TG?

Comment

I recently (10 months ago) upgraded a 9800 Pro to a 7800 AGP card. I also added more system RAM (went from 1 Gig to 2 Gig).

While it's hard to isolate single changes, I noticed VERY LITTLE difference in FPS with the graphics card upgrade. With the additional ram, there were minor improvements in windows "tab" switching speed, but not much for an individual game/program run speed. My conclusion is that I was limited by the CPU (an Intel P4 2.8Ghz HT).

My bottom line is that I "wasted" the money for upgrading graphics and ram, since neither was usable in really solving the problem of gaining improved performance.

I finally solved this by buying an entirely new system (Conroe 6600, 2 Gig Ram, NVidia 7900 GTX, etc.). Wow! What a difference!! IMO, if you REALLY want to see performance gains, you'll need a new MOBO/CPU, with appropriate graphics card...all of which is messy now because of the imminent arrival of DX10 capable cards.
                          Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

I recently upgraded from a 5600 to a 7600 GS OC AGP card, BFG sells one for 150 bucks. Huge improvement and you can use HDR natively! I highly recommend the 7600 GS OC AGP card.

It plays Oblivion flawlessly as well, so i'm sure it will play BF2 much much better. My Mobo is the asus K8N as well.

- -

Comment

I'd also like to echo Paperchase's advice; it would be a good idea just to hold out for DirectX10 cards, because otherwise anything you buy is just going to be more or less obsolete when the Vista era games come out.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X