Ping Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ping Problems

On Steam, I'm pinging back anywhere between 150-250 and my normal ping is around 30. This happens occasionally, so I just let it slide for a while till I noticed that my download speeds are consistent with my connection.

I'm on Cable. I don't exactly know what speed it is, but I know I download at about 45 kb per second, normally. While having the ping problem, my download rate is still at 45 kb per second.

Any thoughts?

-Mom
    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Re: Ping Problems

Kind of unrelated, because I don't know how to help, but is 45kb/s a normal download speed in America?
    |TG| Lorian
    Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

That seems quite slow for a cable connection. The simplest and quickest test is: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Is this ping problem periodic, or all the time? The best thing to do is use a trace route program (like ping plotter) and post your results here. You may want to run it when you have the problem, and again when you don't.

Originally posted by Lorian View Post
      Kind of unrelated, because I don't know how to help, but is 45kb/s a normal download speed in America?
      No. My usual download rate is 750kb +. According to that meter there, I'm getting 6226kbps down, and 336kbps up.
      birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Download Speed: 363 kbps (45.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
        Upload Speed: 121 kbps (15.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

My ping on TG is currently 53 (a normal ping).

My download speed would be still setting at about 45kb/ps.

I just don't get it. DSL was faster, lol.

-Mom
        Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

Yer Mom...isn't cable susceptible to how many connections you have within the local area or neighborhood? For example, it may be the case that some knucklehead on your block is choking your bandwidth/speed because he's playing games or downloading a couple terabytes of torrents. I'd call the cable company and see if that's the case. Maybe you can get them to split your neighborhood or something in the next few years. LOL.

A buddy of mine apparently was on a cable node all by himself...since he was out in the boonies, none of his neighbors had cable internet. His download speeds were blazing (back around 2001). Of course, I'm no expert on this...just something to look in to.
          |TG| HOUDINI

Comment

Mom, step one is figuring out where the latency is happening. That's where a traceroute comes into play. See Wuss' post, or Google, and educate yourself about traceroutes within the context of network diagnostics. Then perform one and see where the latency begins.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Okay, I downloaded Ping Plotter, and ran it. I connected from my PC to www.tacticalgamer.com and traced the route.

I'm connected through Charter Communications out of Jackson, and I live in Selmer. (Yahoo it)

24-159-70-1.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com - My first connection. Took me all of 16 seconds max.

24-159-64-34.static.jcsn.tn.charter.com - My second connection. Pinging back at about 134. My transition from 16 to 134 is where I'm worried.

dap-brdr-01.inet.qwest.net - I'm getting a 10% packet loss from here, the 7th connection on the list.

po2.car04.dllstx5.theplanet.com - The only thing pinging over 200 occasionally. Maxes at about 340.

I'm on a timed session to show me the change every 60 seconds. I'm not quite sure what all this information tells me, but I'm starting to understand that my ping is jumping from an average 10 to 133 over the course of the first two connections (listed above).

I'm guessing that means it's my ISP?

-Mom
              Yer Mom /O>

Comment

When latency strikes close to home, you might not be wasting your time to call your ISP. You might.

When latency strikes close to the server, you might not be wasting your time alerting TG staff. You might.

When latency strikes remarkably in between, you're pretty screwed, because it's not your ISP's network, and it's not the network hosting the data center from which TG hosts game servers.
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Update:

I've talked to Charter. My ping problem, as you can see from the above post, happens between Charter's dhcp and Charter's static. The actual raise varies, but it's about 16ms to 130ms between those two nodes. Charter reports an outage somewhere in northern Jackson that may be causing the problem.

Vulcan tells me to use a different DNS, I will report my failures later.

-Mom
                  Yer Mom /O>

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X