To build or not to build?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To build or not to build?

There comes a time in every TGers life when they must realize that the pride and joy in his or her life (the computer of course) that was built so tenderly just two years ago is out of date. Hence the question!
    I had my Newegg shopping cart all ready and I was nervously going to pull that $1200 trigger, AND THEN SUDDENLY. A thought occurred.
    Should I act now and have a nice snappy machine or should I endure months of laggy play waiting for DX 10 Video Card, Quad core, Better motherboards, lower prices etc?
    Here are the big issues (please feel free to add):
    1-Vista not going to play the BF franchise well. The only games I have every loved for more then 10 minutes. I read about a DX9 emulation in Vista that will create a huge performance hit.
    2-Vista having severe DRM restrictions that will make a PC into a Television set.
    3- Build new and get a video card like the X1900XT @ $250 and take a hit four months later and buy a new and very expensive DX 10 video card.
    4- I only have an AGP slot. So I must go for the gusto. My video card is an x800XT, which is very close to top AGP cards out now. I need a better processor and 2 gigs of ram as well.
    5-Having to buy another new Power supply to support DX 10 Video cards.
    6- Someone said BF2 does not like core 2 duo.
    I have noticed lately that some TGers that were going to wait have suddenly turn the corner and are going to build now.
    I am no expert and would like some opinions on if this is just pre-buyers remorse or are these legit concerns.
    Thanx
    Last edited by Hambergler; 10-09-2006, 09:51 AM.

Re: To build or not to build?

unfortunately, if you do wait, you could just as well say the same thing then. I guess it's a matter of "Do I want the new rig now, or later?"
    birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Quad core won't be much of an improvement for gaming. The bottleneck is still the graphics card. If you don't mind nVidia cards, you can get an eVGA DX9 card now and use the step-up program to get a DX10 card when it's released in mid-November.

I haven't read anything about a performance hit with DX9 games in Vista. It seems like suicide to leave it like that. You can hold off on upgrading to Vista but you have to ask yourself, "How long will I be playing my favourite DX9 games?" In a year or two, you'll be forced to upgrade when DX10 games are the standard.

You don't have to worry about a new PSU because you're probably getting a new one anyway. Check your PSU and you might find it doesn't conform to the latest ATX standard. You might upgrade the PSU just for the new SATA, PCI-e and motherboard connectors so you don't have to fiddle with adapters. Or your current PSU isn't enough for all the latest hardware.

Here is my plan: I bought a new PC in August. It's nothing special. I decided on a 7900GT. The plan is to upgrade to a DX10 card next year. Of course, that's if I don't qualify to use eVGA's step-up program to get a DX10 card. I may be outside the 90 days to step-up. For Vista, I can wait until mid-2007. There aren't going to be drooltastic DX10 games for a while. Who cares about DRM? We'll see what the situation is like when Vista is released. You'll be forced to upgrade anyway if you start eyeing DX10 games.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I'm using the step up program to get a dx10 card. I just bought an EVGA geforce 7900GTO. It was just a downpayment for nvidia's next card.

I'd wait for vista to build. Thats what I'm doing at least. No sense reinstalling everything twice.

Comment

Seriously I would wait. Here is my logic.

A) If you want cheaper stuff, wait until the dx10 card was out then all dx9 card will all drop in price.

B) If you want a dx10 card, wait until its out.
          Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

Hambergler, I'm in the same boat as you. The perfectly streamlined PC that I built 2 years ago is finally starting to chug on the latest games. I've just ordered some new bits and pieces to keep it going for a little while longer...and maybe set it up as a backup/server machine on my local network. Heh...that 850XT AGP card just dropped in price...hmmm....

In the meantime, I've set up a terrifically expensive wish list on Newegg with a Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme processor and mobo, etc, etc. Maybe I'll do the "prudent" thing and buy a lame-o Core 2 Duo...LOL! Like Imawuss said...as soon as you hit the "buy" button, or at the very least start screwing in your motherboard, that rig is already outdated. Screw it...might as well start working on a system now and build it so you can upgrade over the next couple years. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Here's some bits and pieces I've been looking at...I'll start working the price down after a little more research. 2 motherboards in there...not sure if I should go with Intel or Asus.

New Computer Build

Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update
            Antec Performance I P180B Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel for durability through the majority of chassis 1.0mm cold rolled steel around the 4 x HDD area ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
            Model #: P180B
            Item #: N82E16811129017

Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

In Stock
            $129.99 -$15.00 Instant $114.99

Update
            Intel BOXD975XBXLKR Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
            Model #: BOXD975XBXLKR
            Item #: N82E16813121016

In Stock
            $259.99 $259.99

Update
            ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
            Model #: P5WDH DELUXE/WIFI-AP
            Item #: N82E16813131025

In Stock
            $259.99 $259.99

Update
            COOLER MASTER RS-600-ASAA ATX Form Factor 12V V2.2 / SSI standard EPS 12V V2.91 600 Watts Continuous Power Supply - Retail
            Model #: RS-600-ASAA
            Item #: N82E16817171011

In Stock
            $119.99 $119.99

Update
            Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail
            Model #: BX80557E6600
            Item #: N82E16819115003

Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

In Stock
            $316.99 $316.99

Update
            CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400 - Retail
            Model #: TWIN2X2048-6400
            Item #: N82E16820145590

In Stock
            Mail-in Rebate
            $290.00 $290.00
            Subtotal: $1,361.95
            |TG| HOUDINI

Comment

Good point Rocketpunch...since the DX10 cards are coming out, you'd almost be wasting money on the latest DX9 cards today. Damn! When are those things coming out again?

Of course...I'm not upgrading to Vista right off the bat. Although the XP release was fairly clean, who knows what'll happen with Vista. I'll let others make the leap first before I go through yet another OS install. Bottom line is, I'll wait for the DX10 cards to hit the market to take advantage of some DX9 savings that should last about a year or so. (I hope)
              |TG| HOUDINI

Comment

Originally posted by houdini View Post
                Good point Rocketpunch...since the DX10 cards are coming out, you'd almost be wasting money on the latest DX9 cards today. Damn! When are those things coming out again?
                Well, there is a trade up program if you buy eVGA cards, thats whay BHack is doing. See this thread: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...tml#post575455
                Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

The trade up program looks interesting. My experience with video card companies have not been so good. I would hate to go through some hassle with them while I'm sitting at home in the dark with no video card.

Comment

Originally posted by houdini View Post

Of course...I'm not upgrading to Vista right off the bat. Although the XP release was fairly clean, who knows what'll happen with Vista. I'll let others make the leap first before I go through yet another OS install. Bottom line is, I'll wait for the DX10 cards to hit the market to take advantage of some DX9 savings that should last about a year or so. (I hope)
                    You can reap the rewards of DX10 driving down DX9 prices right now. There's the 7900GTO, which is basically a 7900GTX chip at a lower clock. Wait any longer and there won't be any DX9 parts to buy. In fact, it may be more expensive if it's hard to get.

I've seen comments about the eVGA step-up program. It's a great idea to get the best now and later. The only problems I've seen is the cost of shipping (you pay to ship your card back and it has to be well packed) and the waiting to get your new card (there's the process queue and waiting for them to ship). I think that's well worth it since you're getting a great card now and can upgrade to DX10 for next to nothing. You only have to wait about a week without a video card.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

@ Hambergler... Although I haven't personally had any probs. w/my gpus, I have EVGA and I hear they're really good w/customer support. I can't provided any experiences I've had with their customer service, but why should I when I haven't had problems w/either one of their 7800gt's in my rig :)
                      |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                      [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

don't forget about the sky high ram prices right now. i'd wait a little bit. well i guess it depends on what games you play.

i mainly just play bf2 and company of heroes. i had a 6600gt and 1gb of ram for the longest time and had no qualms with it. i upgraded a couple months back to a 7800 gtx since i found a good deal on ebay, but i'm still sitting with 1gb and the same processor [opteron 144 @ 2.6ghz] and it's just icing on the cake - nothing more. i could still be chugging with my 6600gt, imho, and your x800 xt is even better so stick with it while prices take a plunge.

and who said c2d doesn't like bf2? that's just silly.

oh and hey from houston. :>

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X