No announcement yet.

Is SLI or Crossfire Important anymore?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is SLI or Crossfire Important anymore?

The only component I haven't settled on is the motherbooard for a C2D system. Dual gpu is the last consideration. I won't buy a 2 graphix cards now, but for the future(DX10). Is it important to be able to drop in another gpu after prices go down to keep up with more demanding games? Or are the graphix cards so powerful that it's not really a consideration? Or are we limited by CPUs now?
    Please share your opinions.

Re: Is SLI or Crossfire Important anymore?

We're still limited by the GPU as you can see with the C2D vs. AM2 comparisons. Once you crank up the graphics, it's all the GPU getting you those high framerates.

The big benefit of multi-card systems is high resolution gaming. Anything 1600x1200 or higher and you'll start to see the benefits. My monitor's native resolution is 1280x1024 so I don't really need two graphics cards. I'm doing fine with a 7900GT. I think my system will do fine with a G80. No need to get two of them because it's far too expensive for the performance I'll get out of it.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

What Sarc said.
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
        We're still limited by the GPU as you can see with the C2D vs. AM2 comparisons. Once you crank up the graphics, it's all the GPU getting you those high framerates.

The big benefit of multi-card systems is high resolution gaming. Anything 1600x1200 or higher and you'll start to see the benefits. My monitor's native resolution is 1280x1024 so I don't really need two graphics cards. I'm doing fine with a 7900GT. I think my system will do fine with a G80. No need to get two of them because it's far too expensive for the performance I'll get out of it.

Ditto. The only thing a multi-card setup nets you at lower resolutions is being able to crank up AA and AF to massive amounts.

Comment

Thanx, appreciate it.

Comment

Without DX10 it might even be slower.
            The Old Guy
            kin3
            sigpic

Comment

I'm running SLI right now w/my display's native resolution @ 1280*1024 and I can vouch for the fact that right now SLI is not worth it. The difference between running one 7800gt vs 2 7800gts is miniscule at best in my rig. I'm not sure what kind of effect dx10 will have on SLI/Crossfire so I can't comment, but one gou should be adequate for now.
              |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
              [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...