Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I upgrade like this?

Hey guys,

I currently have a AMD64 3200+ on a 939 socket with 2GBs of DDR400-3200 memory.

Is it possible for me to simply swap out the CPU for, say a FX or a dual-core that supports the 939 socket and keep the same memory? Will that be a bad idea?

Thanks!

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Re: Can I upgrade like this?

as long as your MB supports it. Im not sure what kind of windows redo you will have to do. your motherboard will be the deciding factor on the upgrade
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

You should be ok with the swap, but you'll probably have to reinstall windows and update your mobo drivers. I went from a 3500+ to a 4400+ and did a fresh install w/the same components I had previously. Works just fine for me.
      |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
      [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Only problem I can imagine is if you jump to a dual core machine, but even then I doubt you'd run in to trouble.

Memory will be fine.
        Battlefield Admin() ()
        [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
        [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
        | for | |

Comment

When you guys say 'reinstall windows', what are we talking about here? Will all my user accounts get wiped and stuff?

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I upgraded CPU's (3200+ to 3700+) without having to reinstall windows, I just swapped it and was good to go.

Comment

The best thing to do is to upgrade to a FX-55/57 right now. Im hearing that the Dual cores dont help on any games right now, and wont for a while... And if anything they cause problems. Plus you can pick up a FX-55/57 from newegg.com for like $180-$235. If you post your motherboard info we could easyly tell you what ur maximum is if you dont already know.

Edit (Helpful Links):

FX-55 + 250GB Hdd for 209 - Retail (Ends the 31st)

FX-55 for 189 - OEM
              Oyee

Comment

If i remember correctly the OS is tied to the motherboard and CPU. When you install windows it makes sure you have the same set everytime. I think you need to reinstall windows to get it to recognize the new hardware and work correctly. You can only have one copy of windows actived per set of hardware, adding a new CPU would make it look like another set.

I believe thats correct, im sure someone will be able to correct me or confirm that.
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys.

I have a GIGABYTE NF4 GA-K8NXP-SLI..

I can get a 3700+ for about $100, an FX 55 for about $200, and a 4200+ dualcore for about $190.. Any thoughts there?

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
                    Thanks for all the info guys.

I have a GIGABYTE NF4 GA-K8NXP-SLI..

I can get a 3700+ for about $100, an FX 55 for about $200, and a 4200+ dualcore for about $190.. Any thoughts there?
                    Get the FX-55 for 209 with the free 250GB hdd i posted about. Sounds like a great deal. Plus its retail, so you should have no problems.

If your gonna have to reinstall Windows (And you probably will) a new bigger/faster hardrive would be nice.

Edit:
                    Make sure to hit "Buy this combo" or else you wont get what you want.
                    Last edited by Black_V!per; 10-11-2006, 02:20 PM. Reason: Helpful message
                    Oyee

Comment

I don't see why he would have to reinstall windows really. The only reason would be adding the extra core, but I really doubt that would cause an issue.

That OEM FX-55 had a coupon last Friday for $50 off = $140. Quite a steal. If I wasnt' broke from moving recently I would have bought one.

Actually, still $140. Use coupon AMDROCKS on the OEM. Man.. I'm really tempted.. payday is Friday, I can float the cash for a couple days :p
                      Battlefield Admin() ()
                      | for | |

Comment

I upgraded about 6 weeks ago and the fx chips weren't that cheap then. Had I waited I would've went with the FX 57 Me thinks...that said...I did ge a dual core 4800 +...was their top of the line at $1200 or so when it came out and I got it for about $280.

I've had zero problems running games with it and am quite pleased at its performance. Not as good as an overclocker as I'd like though...
                        sigpic
                        |TG-1st|Grunt
                        ARMA Admin (retired)
                        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Temptation was too strong.. Thanks for bringing this back in my mind Tempus! FX-55 on the way! I'll be upgrading from a 3000+, so I'll let ya know how it works ;)
                          Battlefield Admin() ()
                          | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by perry View Post
                            Temptation was too strong.. Thanks for bringing this back in my mind Tempus! FX-55 on the way! I'll be upgrading from a 3000+, so I'll let ya know how it works ;)
                            What'd you get so we'll all know how things are in the futur? (OEM/Retail)
                            Oyee

Comment

OEM = No Fan, correct?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X