No announcement yet.

New processor, tight money

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New processor, tight money

I've looked around and I've lost all of my knowledge of my processor and mobo stuff. I have no idea what I can get, or how good they will be, so I will turn to you guys who are a LOT more computer literate than I am.
    Here's the deal:
    I need a pretty cheap processor that will fit my current motherboard.

Current CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1.66ghz
    Current motherboard: Asus A7N8x-E

I have around a $60 spending limit at this point, but if I realllly need to, i can go a bit more. I want my computer to be able to run games pretty smooth without all the jumpiness that it usually gets.

Other info:
    Video Card: Radeon 9800 Pro 128
    Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
    Memory: 2x 256k Kingston, 1x 512k Kingston
    Seagate 120gb Harddrive

If any other info is needed, let me know and I will gladly find out for you. I just need to get up to par with even CS:S. I know my Video card can handle it, but my processor seems to be the bootleg. I can buy from anywhere, including bestbuy and newegg. Anywhere is fine, even from a fellow TG member.

Re: New processor, tight money

If i were you I'd go with this deal and spend the exta money, failing that I'd have to say just buy the best CPU you can get from newegg for that socket type, though they aren't made anymore they will be just as expensive CPU to CPU.

Ebay might be your best bet for old cpu's.
    Last edited by Vulcan; 10-11-2006, 07:27 PM.

- -

What socket type is mine?

That's a really tight budget. I'm not sure what to recommend for $60. If you spend any more, I'm wondering what the point would be to sink money into an obsolete socket.

I played CS:S on a 2400+ with a 9700 Pro and it ran fine. If you can get an AMD processor around there, you should be fine. Hopefully, you can get a used one. It seems that socket A processors aren't abundant in stores.

- It's who you game with.

Sniper you are socket A. I have edited my post to give you the options for Socket A at newegg. You can check out other deals but those same CPU's for a socket 754 mobo are the same price.

- -

Ok. It seems now that upgrading my current processor wouldn't really be worth it.
            I would like atleast a 2.5ghz, so what kind of mobo would I need for that? Again, cheaper, but nothing that will explode =)
            I'll look around on newegg and see if I see anything

You have a Socket A CPU. To the best of my recollection, the top of that range was the XP 3200+ Barton. Tough to come by these days, but it should run CS:S.

If at all possible, I would suggest holding off until you can do a new MB/CPU combo. The link above is for a Socket 754 system which is fine for what you need but also quickly becoming dated. If you hold off until the AM2 CPUs become more mainstream, you can probably find a Socket 939 AMD CPU and MB around $125-150 (or maybe even less).

Edit: Wow, you guys type fast. I'm always the last one to the party.
              Last edited by KestrelZ17; 10-11-2006, 07:38 PM. Reason: I'm too slow.

I plan on waiting now. I can get more money, it will just take a little longer.
                A 2.5+ghz is what I am now looking for. Once I can find one (or with help finding one), i can find and buy an appropriate motherboard for it.

* AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Newcastle 2.4GHz Socket 754 Processor Model ADA3400AIK4BO - OEM

64 bit Support: Yes
                  HT: 1600MHz
                  Hyper-Transport Support: Yes
                  L1 Cache: 64KB+64KB
                  L2 Cache: 512KB
                  Multi-Core: Single-Core
                  Process Type: 90 nm
                  Series: Athlon 64
                  Virtualization Technology Support: No
                  Vista Ready: Yes
                  * Model #: ADA3400AIK4BO
                  * Item #: N82E16819103010
                  * Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy
                  * In Stock
                  * Free Three Day Shipping
                  * [124 Reviews]
                  * Move item to Wish ListMove To Wish List

* $99.00

Would that be worth it?

Here is another deal from tigerdirect. This CPU can be OC'd to about 1.8 Ghz. With AMD that will be good for performance on most games.

I have an AMD Sempron 2600 with a 7600 GS OC on an Asus K8n and it plays oblivion fine and bf2142 on very high settings with HDR. Ofcourse most of that is thanks to the vid card but the CPU is not a problem.

- -

That's my main problem. I can't OC. If I do, my entire PC starts heating up, even if I put a box fan directly on the CPU :P
                      I tried playing 2142, but it was just too laggy for me

Sorry sniper i was posting before you posted, for you i'd say that CPU is not worth it for the simple reason that you could spend 100 bucks on a newer CPU. 2.4 Ghz is an ok goal but AMD's don't naturally run at a high Ghz and don't really require it either.

The problem with going new tech is you have to buy just about everything else too. So in short I'd say go with a mid range sempron instead so you're not losing as much money when you decide to upgrade again.

I definately recommend another Asus Mobo, they are very nice.

EDIT: Overheating problems are related the Mobo and Heatsink, if you get a retail CPU you'll get a great HS with it.

One other thing, You're video card is probably not gonna run any game out this year very well at all. It's my pure opinion that graphics cards come before the core system. lol :P
                        Last edited by Vulcan; 10-11-2006, 08:23 PM.

- -

What would a mid-range Sempron be? 2ghz?

My bad wrong link.

Try this one

- -

So that is the processor for $50?
                              What about the mobo? What kind would i need for that processor?

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed