Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista's licensing woes

http://www.techweb.com/wire/software/193300234

In other words, once a retail copy of Vista is installed on a PC, it can be moved to another system only once.
    "You may not use the software installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system," the legal language reads. Vista Ultimate and Vista Business, however, can be installed within a VM.

"If after a validation check, the software is found not to be properly licensed, the functionality of the software may be affected."
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=156

http://www.windows-now.com/blogs/rob...g-Changes.aspx - what's interesting there is that you can't copy ISO's to your hard drive on Home Basic and Home Premium. That really doesn't make sense to me. As I read the Slashdot article where this was linked, it doesn't seem accurate.

But, the big kicker is the quote about transferring the license just once. That's gunna be a killer for geeks.
    Battlefield Admin() ()
    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
    | for | |

Re: Vista's licensing woes

You could link it to a floppy, couldn't you? That things can last for years, and if it breaks, just use CDs or ZIP drives... just an easier idea :)

Comment

Wow, they are going to make crackers out of all of us. Mehhh It's not like they haven't already.

Comment

The less freedom they give to the users, the more the users will have to seek "alternative" means. Which in turn, created a higher desire for pirated/hacked OS, and hence the incentive for teams of international hackers to hack it.

If I only have to buy their OS once and I can freely installed on all my machines, there is really no incentive for me too seek "alternatives" and they will also create a larger "legit" install base of their OS and a larger need of any software related to that OS.

Looks like I will be using XP for a while. Especially when $199 can only get you a "crippled" "beta" version their "unhackable" OS.
        Last edited by RocketPunch; 10-13-2006, 02:17 PM.
        Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

Ill be very surprised if it's not cracked within the 1st week of release.

Im with you RocketPunch - Im going to stick with XP at least until sp2 comes out for Vista and we see a drop in price. until it becomes an issue with Gaming & DX10 im not to concerned.
          [defense]

Comment

I usually rebuild both my computers at least once a year. This copy protection scheme certainly wont fit the profile for hardcore techies. I'll be sticking with XP for quite a while, regardless of all the gimmicks like Vista/DX10 only games.
            -33rd- BaneII
            Smokers & Jokers

Comment

Man this sucks. So I can swap out the mobo only once? The second time I do so I actually have to repurchase the operating system? Whaaa?

Comment

Is this true?? memory upgrade + new video card and maybe other minor changes == new OS purchase?

When will DX10 be ported to Linux?

Comment

And people wonder why I use Linux...

Originally posted by marstein View Post
                  When will DX10 be ported to Linux?
                  Rofl
                  |TG| Lorian
                  Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

You couldn't just call them and say you had an hardware issue? (HDD carshed etc.. etc..) They hand out new keys over the phone like candy, I've never had a problem re-activating xp over the phone.

I don't plan on upgrading to vista immediately, but I suppose it'll be inevitable at some point.
                    |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                    [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Yeah guys - I can't help but think there's some over-reaction here. I remember when MS started requiring activation of their product, and part of activation was that Windows would send to Redmond a unique hash derived from hardware numbers (serial numbers or soemthing). Every board I read was talking about how it was the worst thing ever and you would only ever be able to install Windows once and would never be able to upgrade and so on and so forth.

While I can't offer any alternative (more positive) explanations of the "can be moved only once", I will say that the best option is likely to wait until Vista is released, and then read the reviews shortly thereafter which test that exact function.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
                      [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
                      Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase..._licensing.asp
                        RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                        TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                        7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                        "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                        "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Whether our interpretations were right or now, MS has revised the terms.
                          Battlefield Admin() ()
                          [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                          [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                          | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by perry View Post
                            Whether our interpretations were right or now, MS has revised the terms.
                            Very good news that is.
                            |TG| Lorian
                            Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse