quiet heatsink (80mm?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quiet heatsink (80mm?)

I have an older, hand-me-down system on which I run administrative and piddly programs. It's too loud, and I need ya'll's help fixing that.

The source of the noise is the fan attached to the heatsink. It says "Thermaltake Volcano 5" on the top, and I've found a webpage that describes it as "80X60X40 mm".

So I'm looking for an 80mm heatsink fan then? Or an "80mm heatsink"? Or what?

I found our CPU heatsink recommendations thread, and I've looked at the quiet fans page that Whiskey offered in another thread.

Basically, I don't know what I need, and I'd like help.

I just want the system to run quietly. My newer system (HP a530n) is damn near silent when it runs. I'd like to approach that, and I'd like to do it for less than $40. Beyond that, I really am opposed to spending money I don't really need to spend.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: quiet heatsink (80mm?)

It's all about the RPM's. If you want a silent fan just get one that has a lower RPM. Ofcourse they are standard to the type of socket you have as well. What type of cpu/socket is it?

- -

Comment

http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product/...dx=70&code=017

I've been told that the Zalman fan mate is a quality product. It allows you to control the speed of a fan with a knob. Choose the fastest speed that isn't too loud for you, and you'll be set.
      Steam Community: | |

Comment

Socket A, Vulcan.

Never would have imagined such a beast, korm. Thanks.

I'm grateful for anything anyone can contribute.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

It's a 60mm fan and that's probably why it's so loud. You could try attaching the fan to a fan controller and lowering the speed. Although, I think getting a new heatsink that uses a larger fan is a better idea. 60mm fans have to run at a higher speed to provide better cooling and tend to make high pitched whines.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

If you don't mind the looks, remove the small fan, buy a 12cm and use some kind of wire to strap it to the heatsink.

Comment

I would go with this one. I take it your CPU isn't constantly overheating right now? The blue LEDS are bit much but i couldn't find a plain one.
              Last edited by Vulcan; 10-15-2006, 06:27 PM.

- -

Comment

Try "speedfan" first... it's a free utility that lets you manually adjust.. well.. your fans' speeds. It also reads temp sensors on your mobo to let you create a profile... i.e. turn the fan off when CPU's below 50*C, run it at 50% from 50-60*C, etc....

:icon14:

Comment

I've been running Speedfan to *monitor* my temps, but my K7S5A doesn't have the hardware it needs to *adjust* them.

This damn thing runs at 49C idle.

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
                    I would go with this one Wyz, it will run at lower RPM's if you're CPU isn't working and speed up if the CPU starts to heat up. I take it your CPU isn't constantly overheating right now? The blue LEDS are bit much but i couldn't find a plain one.
                    I feel dumb. Where in that product's description do I read something that tells me it adjusts its speed?

I see it rates itself as 24db. From what I've read during the last 24 hours about this thing in my machine now, it's rated at 32db. This one you've recommended, does its rating reference the noise level when the fan is at it's highest speed, I'm guessing? If so, what might I expect when my machine is idle and "cool"? How many db? I'm trying to understand what percentage of today's idle noise I'll have to tolerate after I buy this new fan thing.

Comment

My recommendation if your motherboard has the 4 mounting holes around the CPU socket and if you have clearance beneath your PSU. Seems that ESC put the holes on some of those boards and left em off on others (costs money to make the holes, ya know??).

Silent PC Review for all things silent.
                      Battlefield Admin() ()
                      [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                      [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                      | for | |

Comment

Sorry my bad i was linking to a wrong fan before that had variable fan speeds and was a noisy fan.

The aero cool fan is one speed only and one dB reading.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by perry View Post
                          My recommendation if your motherboard has the 4 mounting holes around the CPU socket and if you have clearance beneath your PSU. Seems that ESC put the holes on some of those boards and left em off on others (costs money to make the holes, ya know??).

Silent PC Review for all things silent.
                          I'll second that Zalman recommendation. I use a very similar one (all copper rather than AlCu) personally on my main system and it's about 90x less obtrusive than most PC fans I've used. Plus as a bonus it comes with the fan mate speed adjuster.
                          a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                          Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                          Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                          Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                          Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I can get either a Socket 478 *or* a Socket A? They'll both work? Or do cooling fans only come in Socket 478?

Comment

Also, this thing in my case now claims to be 32db, and these "quiet" ones are saying they're 24. Is it really that much of a difference?

I wonder what's in this main machine I bought. It's quiet as a mouse.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X