Printer Recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printer Recommendations

My HP 812 has bit the dust after 7 years. I want to buy a new printer. My only consideration is that I don't want to be sucked into buying endless $45 ink cartridges every month. Any one buy a printer recently that would like to share your experiences?

I'm looking at this deal so far:
    Brother HL-2040 Monochrome Laser Printer - 20ppm 600x2400dpi 8MB memory - Great Limited Time Deal!

List Price: $199.99
    Our Price: $83.99
    Price After Rebate(s): $63.99
    Shipping: FREE
    Buy.com Total Price: $63.99
    Google Check Out-$10= 53.99

Re: Printer Recommendations

That price drop scares me man, something doesn't seem right. I'll look into it.

here's a review, seems ok. http://pcworld.com/article/id,121592...1/article.html

Its $60 toner cartridges may seem reasonably priced, but they yield only 2500 pages (according to Brother's estimates). Counting the $115 cost of changing the printer's drum assembly every 12,000 pages, you'll pay about 3.4 cents per page.

- -

Comment

The toner is $30 at buy.com if you use google checkout in a separate order.

Comment

sounds like a sound buy then to me.

- -

Comment

Laser is the best way to go when dealing with lots of printing per month. I dont do half of what I thought I was going to (Only like 4-6 pages a month) but my neighbor does like 40-50, so i told him to go Laser, more expensive up front, but in the long run those ink cartridges add up. He did and was never happyer. Plus the speed saved time too.

Check those deal sites, you probably already have, but ya.
          Oyee

Comment

Here is a good discussion on "affordable" laser printers.. Maybe not quite as "affordable" as the one you're looking at but should give you some ideas of what to look at, etc. You may be able to pick up a color laser or nice big B&W laser on the cheap via ebay.. Some of these baby HP's are getting pretty affordable. And the couple year old HP's will probably be cheap buy & operate.

I've had good luck with my HP LaserJet 6L. It's probably 9 years old now and just keeps on going. I KNOW I've saved money compared to buying cheap deskjets over the years. The only thing I'd like is a duplexer to make printing on both sides easier.
            Battlefield Admin() ()
            [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
            [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
            | for | |

Comment

I'm at somewhere around 15 years on my HP LJ4. No comment on what I payed for it, but I bet 15 years of regular inkjet use would cost much more. I think I've replaced the toner 3 times at about $30 each time.
              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Thanks guys, it looks like laser is the way to go. I went ahead and ordered the brother. I couldn't resist the $50 price tag.

Comment

I found an HP 5L when we moved in to our new building and almost threw it away with the rest of the out of date and worthelss hardware from 15 years ago. I plugged it in on a whim and the thing fired up and printed perfectly. If it had USB, I would use it as my main printer, but it's not, so it sits there: sad, alone, and fully functional.... wanna buy a 5L? hehe
                  Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                  The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I just got my son an epson c88 for so he could print anytime he needed to. This comes after several years of using the Epson C80. The thing cost 79 bucks and prints like a charm. Has 4 individual in cartridges so you change only what you need when you need it. It's cheap but works good enough and more for him to print off his assignments for school. I printed several photos just to test it out and it was good there also. Got it at Staples and now no more fiddling and resetting the darn print server that never seemed tow work right anyhow.
                    sigpic
                    |TG-1st|Grunt
                    ARMA Admin (retired)
                    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                      I just got my son an epson c88 for so he could print anytime he needed to. This comes after several years of using the Epson C80. The thing cost 79 bucks and prints like a charm.
                      I've also been quite impressed with Epson's Photo Sylus line of printers. 'Course, they're photo printers and wouldn't be ideal for someone that prints a lot every day...
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
                        If it had USB, I would use it as my main printer, but it's not, so it sits there: sad, alone, and fully functional.... wanna buy a 5L? hehe
                        Your mobo doesn't have a parallel port? They have USB to parallel adapters.
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

most new laptops don't have one..... and those converters are horrible. they work for a few weeks then stop.... I have owned 4 and they all sucked. but I will give a thumbs up to epson. the rx series are great for printing straight to cd, the cx are fantastic all-in-ones, and the C series are as reliable as they are cheap.
                          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X