Laptop wireless connectivity issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop wireless connectivity issue

I'm having trouble getting my laptop to connect at all to the internet, but I'm not sure why. All of the programs needing network access (including Azureus, BF2CC, Firefox, widgets, etc.) aren't able to connect, except for Internet Explorer. This issue is present on my home wireless network and on a neighbor's open access point - nothing connects except for IE.

Is there some way I can troubleshoot this issue? I've already re-booted a couple times, restarted my router (before I tested it on the other wireless router) and doublechecked my wireless settings, but I've never had to do more than that to get everything working. Any ideas what I can do to fix this??
    Beatnik

Re: Laptop wireless connectivity issue

Have you updated to IE7 lately? That seems to cause a lot of random problems for people. If not, I have no idea.
    --------

Zephyr: Besides Wyzcrak and his godly voice; the kind of voice that you will expect to say "Zephyr, I need you to build an ark at Marine Start, with room for two of every structure so that I may turret spam for 40 days and 40 nights" that is.

Squeak:Sometimes I'm awed by zibs genius. Then I remember he's Canadian and I feel significantly less threatened.

Comment

Nope. I haven't even used IE at all for months until today when I started this thread. And it's definitely painful going back to use IE after months of FF.
      Beatnik

Comment

Just having troubles with wireless? Wired is working ok?
        Battlefield Admin() ()
        [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
        [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
        | for | |

Comment

Actually no - just tried it and wired with the WiFi off has the same symptoms...
          Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik View Post
            I'm having trouble getting my laptop to connect at all to the internet, but I'm not sure why. All of the programs needing network access (including Azureus, BF2CC, Firefox, widgets, etc.) aren't able to connect, except for Internet Explorer. This issue is present on my home wireless network and on a neighbor's open access point - nothing connects except for IE.

Is there some way I can troubleshoot this issue? I've already re-booted a couple times, restarted my router (before I tested it on the other wireless router) and doublechecked my wireless settings, but I've never had to do more than that to get everything working. Any ideas what I can do to fix this??
            DNS issue maybe?
            Can you connect to http://70.86.223.82/ ?
            [volun2]
            NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
            Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
            <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
            <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

In IE yes, in FF no.
              Beatnik

Comment

ping www.yahoo.com? ping 209.73.186.238? nslookup www.yahoo.com?
                Battlefield Admin() ()
                | for | |

Comment

It gave me "transmit failed, error code 65." on the pings, and nslookup said "Can't find server name for address 24.93.41.125: No response from server" and the same for 192.168.1.1.

And underneath those messages:

Server: Unknown
                  Address 24.93.41.125

Unknown can't find www.yahoo.com: No response from server
                  Beatnik

Comment

Got some firewall blocking everything?

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;298100
                    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316414
                    Battlefield Admin() ()
                    | for | |

Comment

Wow. That did it! Somehow ZoneAlarm was affecting things, even though I didn't have it running. Uninstalling it fixed everything. Thanks!! :D
                      Beatnik

Comment

Just as a heads up, Firewalls will have services running regardless of whether you see a process or not. You can probably config zone alarm to run properly as well with these programs as many people here do everyday.

- -

Comment

Yeah I'd used ZA for a long time, but it was (seemingly randomly) mucking up several programs like BF2CC and Hamachi, so I just disabled it in the startup menu. I'd also looked through the services but didn't associate any service with ZA, so I thought I was good until I had this huge problem and just went in and uninstalled it. I'm behind a hardware firewall at home so not having it not a big issue.

Thanks for the insight though. I really had no idea what was going on, and now a lot of programs like Azureus, Hamachi and BF2CC are running much better. Honestly, you'd think that not running the program would, you know, keep it from running. Lesson learned. :)
                          Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik View Post
                            I'm behind a hardware firewall at home so not having it not a big issue.
                            What kind of firewall do you have? I haven't really looked into it, but I keep hearing a radio ad for a hardware spam/spyware/firewall solution. Right now, I'm just behind a NAT router, which is good enough to protect people that stay away from shady websites and file sharing apps, but, umm, I guess you could say that I occasionally stray to the seedy side of the intarweb, so I'm considering some more protection...
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Yeah mine's just a NAT firewall as well. It's my wireless router, but I've had zero incidents since I started using it, and ZoneAlarm was providing more headaches than any demonstrated benefits.
                              Beatnik

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X