Power Adapters for International Travel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Adapters for International Travel

I'm going on a trip to London in a couple weeks. October 31st - November 5th, to be exact. I need to figure out what my power issues will be when I get there.

My cell phone won't work, so I'm not worried about that. The primary electrical device I'm going to need working is my IBM ThinkPad T42p laptop. I have the combo AC/DC adapter that lets me power the thing from all different sources, but the plugs are different over there in England than they are here.

Does anyone know what I need to buy? (With some links perhaps) to make my T42p laptop plug into a wall outlet in England? I have a PDA as well, but I'll probably just charge that via USB from my laptop.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: Power Adapters for International Travel

http://www.elect-spec.com/travel_z.htm

is that something like you are wanting?
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

I don't think so.

I'd be afraid to order from there, even if it was what I was looking for! :)

I think my AC transformer for my laptop will work with 220, I think I just need a new cable to go from the transformer to the wall socket in England.

Comment

Most major airports will have travelshops with plugconverters that enables your US standard plugs to be converted through an adapter. As long as your laptoptransformer is rated 110-240(usually says on the transformer) this will be enough. I'll look for an onlineretailer in the States and post a link. There is no need for a new cable, and you have the added benefit of using other dual voltage equipment you might bring(electric razors e.g.)

General info and purchase links: http://www.kropla.com/electric.htm
        Last edited by PanzerHans; 10-18-2006, 03:18 PM. Reason: Gahh: UK doesen't use the Schuko plug.
        --
        VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

I have this one from Brookstone that works on several continents with one unit. It has worked well on several trips to the Continent and Ireland, but I've not had the chance to check it in the UK. Ireland may use the same plugs as the UK, but I do not remember - I know that the Continent does have a different standard from the UK.

I've used it solely for mobile phones and MP3 players - no laptops - but even after putting dozens of hours on it by leaving my phone connected while I slept it has never had a hiccup.
          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
            I have this one from Brookstone that works on several continents with one unit. It has worked well on several trips to the Continent and Ireland, but I've not had the chance to check it in the UK. Ireland may use the same plugs as the UK, but I do not remember - I know that the Continent does have a different standard from the UK.

I've used it solely for mobile phones and MP3 players - no laptops - but even after putting dozens of hours on it by leaving my phone connected while I slept it has never had a hiccup.
            In the FAQ for that one it states:

Caution: Not for use with battery chargers, massagers or electronics such as TVs, radios, CD player or computers.
            :(

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
              I don't think so.

I'd be afraid to order from there, even if it was what I was looking for! :)

I think my AC transformer for my laptop will work with 220, I think I just need a new cable to go from the transformer to the wall socket in England.

It does:
              Power source (ac adapter) v Sine-wave input at 50 to 60 Hz v Input rating of the ac adapter: 100-240 V ac, 50 to 60 Hz

You don't want a converter, just a NA receptacle to UK plug adapter.

Something like this.

Or this. (closer to your place) :D

DB
              Last edited by Dick Blonov; 10-18-2006, 04:18 PM.

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...DP401:CL141067

or Office Max or wherever your company gets office supplies

http://us.kensington.com/html/5519.html
                Battlefield Admin() ()
                [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                | for | |

Comment

Connect