Hard drive brands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard drive brands

just curious to see what all you hardware geeks prefer as far as brand goes for hard drives. I'm thinking about getting a new SATA drive, but I'm still not quite sure what brand is really reliable. I have an ultra IDE seagate barracuda, and it's ok, but I'm thinking about trying a new brand.
    |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
    [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Re: Hard drive brands

Western Digital and Samsung have treated me pretty well, I'm terrible on HD's too.

- -

Comment

4GB drive from 1998 still alive and kicking.
      10GB Maxtor drive I bought in 1998 lasted until May of this year.
      60GB Maxtor drive from 2001 lasted until June this year.

2 month old 320GB Seagate drive is working great.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Does SATA still require a floppy drive to install xp?
        |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
        [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

I have two of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148140
          They've been great. You don't need a floppy to install them; and, you don't need a floppy to install xp on them. They're plug and play-at least on my mobo, which isn't premium or anything.

Comment

A lot of WD and Seagate drives have 5 year warranties that might come in handy. I've had a 15GB Maxtor that was reliable. I have two WD drives now, one of them 5 years old, that still work great. My newer 200GB WD drive is really quiet compared to my older WD drive.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Yup go with either Seagate or Western Digital. I have 1 74gb WD Raptor, 1 200gb WD and 1 250GB Seagate. You can't beat the warranty.

I think you're thinking of raid when you were talking about installing it from floppies. SATA are just plug and play like sordavie said, plus there's no master/slave jumpers that you have to set.

EDIT: the one sordavie linked to would probably be the one to get. It's the first one out with the perpendicular recording technology. It should be plenty fast and glancing at the reviews there they said it's quiet as well.

Comment

Cool thanks guys :)
                |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Seagates are the only drives I touch these days. I have had every brand of drive fail on me at one time or another, but Western Digital has been the biggest disappointment of them all, and I will never buy another one of their drives.
                  Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

funny how different people have different things to say about the same brand or product...Granted I've only been mucking about with pc's for seven years or so but I've never used anything but a WD hard drive and that's only because my first Dell had one. When I did my first build I just selected a WD because of that. Iv'e been "ahem-knock on wood" lucky not to have a single failure or data loss with them. A post like Icky's just makes me think I've been lucky so that's good I guess.

Today I have a WD 74GB raptor for OS and Games and a 80GB WD for media. The raptor lives up to its reputation I'd say.
                    sigpic
                    |TG-1st|Grunt
                    ARMA Admin (retired)
                    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Me loves my Raptor! :D

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Raptor!

Comment

I think I made a post which fully explained it sometime last year, but I had 3 WD drives fail on me in short order a couple of years back. Not the "Raptor" brand, but "Caviar" I believe (maybe not all 3). I have been feeling very comfortable with my Seagate drives since then, and they are much quieter.
                          Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
                            Seagates are the only drives I touch these days. I have had every brand of drive fail on me at one time or another, but Western Digital has been the biggest disappointment of them all, and I will never buy another one of their drives.
                            I'm right there with you. I won't buy anything but Seagate Barracuda drives these days.
                            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

And I've got three failed Barracudas sitting on my desk right now... All installed and failed within a few months of each other.

I want to try to recover the data on them before sending them in for replacement.
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X