CPU Bottleneck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Bottleneck

Im looking to upgrade my 6800ultra in the next few weeks to a X1900XT but i am slightly worried if my processor will bottleneck the system. I have a AMD 3000+ Venice o/c to 2.8gig.

The chip runs like a dream atm & dont really want to upgrade to Conroe yet & will wait for 2nd or 3rd generation DX10 cards.

Any thoughts???
    [defense]

Re: CPU Bottleneck

You can pick up a 3700+ for about $100 these days. That's a rockin chip that OC's like a dream and has a 1 MB L2 cache. I might recommend you give it a look if you are concerned about cpu bottleneck. check out www.newegg.com--the only place I buy parts.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I found this on newegg this morning.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103631

Good chip, cheap, and you can OC this one as well. This'll for sure clear out that bottleneck like drano yo!
      |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
      [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Originally posted by B. Clawhammer View Post
        I found this on newegg this morning.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103631

Good chip, cheap, and you can OC this one as well. This'll for sure clear out that bottleneck like drano yo!
        Hahaha, drano...

What socket are you running on?

Im guessin 939 right? If so, go with a 3700/3800 from newegg, that'll cure any bottleneck for a good while.
        Oyee

Comment

Im not to sure if that upgrade would be justified. As my chip clocks to 2.8ghz already and most 3700 San Diegos get around 2.6-3.0ghz on overclock. Can't see the extra 200mhz ( depending on which stepping i get as i may not be able to reach 2.8ghz) & small amout of cache making that much of a difference in games.

I think the more i read and look around it seems that i should hold off until next year when i go conroe.
          [defense]

Comment

Originally posted by phaze View Post
            Im not to sure if that upgrade would be justified. As my chip clocks to 2.8ghz already and most 3700 San Diegos get around 2.6-3.0ghz on overclock. Can't see the extra 200mhz ( depending on which stepping i get as i may not be able to reach 2.8ghz) & small amout of cache making that much of a difference in games.

I think the more i read and look around it seems that i should hold off until next year when i go conroe.
            I believe they have a higher L2 Cache, which means there not only faster stock, but once overclocked to the same speed that u have, there still faster.

939 Venice like ur's has 512 L2 Cache - 55
            939 San Diago 3700+ has 1M L2 Cache - 96
            939 FX-55 (OEM) has 1M L2 Cache - 189

All prices from Newegg.com
            Oyee

Comment

I see your point Viper but does the extra 512 cashe really make that much difference in gaming.

look @ these results with my chip & compare - I know all other chips are standard but still. Read up to the gaming tests.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=1255&page=6
              [defense]

Comment

I wouldnt know, upgrading from a 128k L2 cache on my P4 to a 512K L2 to my 3200+ was like leaps and bounds (Almost a 500% increase in speed imo), and it had a slower clock rating (Keep in mind thats Intel to AMD to) my P4 that im forced to use once again is 2.4Ghz, my 3200+ was 2.0Ghz and i overclocked it to 2.2Ghz...

Its completely up to you, i dont believe you'll be bottlenecked that much with a serious overclock like yours. But in the future things will get a little more hecktic. More L2 cache would make more sence down the road.
                Oyee

Comment

Also consider the amount of strain you're putting on the CPU by OC'ing it that much. With a newer CPU you don't have to push it as hard to get those higher speeds. Either way if you plan to upgrade in 6-8 months i'd wait.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Black_V!per View Post
                    I believe they have a higher L2 Cache, which means there not only faster stock, but once overclocked to the same speed that u have, there still faster.

939 Venice like ur's has 512 L2 Cache - 55
                    939 San Diago 3700+ has 1M L2 Cache - 96
                    939 FX-55 (OEM) has 1M L2 Cache - 189

All prices from Newegg.com
                    939 FX-55 (RETAIL) has 1M L2 Cache - $199 <--- I am thinking of getting this myself.......Just so you know this is a combo deal at Newegg, you get a FREE Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3250824AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

By the way, anyone know the difference between clawhammer and San Diago?
                    Last edited by RocketPunch; 10-20-2006, 12:11 AM.
                    Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

Originally posted by RocketPunch View Post
                      939 FX-55 (RETAIL) has 1M L2 Cache - $199 <--- I am thinking of getting this myself.......Just so you know this is a combo deal at Newegg, you get a FREE Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3250824AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

By the way, anyone knows the difference between clawhammer and San Diago?
                      Core logic/architechture is different. The San Diage is newest and best i believe.
                      Oyee

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X