Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creative X-FI Platinum

Hi

Was thinking of upgrading my sound card with the above.
    Does anyone use it and if so any thoughts?

IronClaw

Re: Creative X-FI Platinum

It has its ups and downs. Best sound ever, bad drivers. There's hundreds of threads/forums that have a Xfi - Crackle/Pop sound problems. Creative still hasnt fixed it.

The platinum is awesome for the fact it has a remote, and a nice lil drive bay, but thats the only difference. If your not going to use them (Like i didnt) its not worth the extra money, just go with the music (Unless you have more money, then go with the Fatal1ty)
    Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by Black_V!per View Post
      It has its ups and downs. Best sound ever, bad drivers. There's hundreds of threads/forums that have a Xfi - Crackle/Pop sound problems. Creative still hasnt fixed it.

The platinum is awesome for the fact it has a remote, and a nice lil drive bay, but thats the only difference. If your not going to use them (Like i didnt) its not worth the extra money, just go with the music (Unless you have more money, then go with the Fatal1ty)
      Do you still get the sound problems with the other models? I've been looking at the X-Fi XtremeGamer.
      |TG-12th| asch
      sigpic

Comment

I have the x-fi music version and it's great. I understand from the Creative forums that some people are having crackling/popping issues, but I haven't had any problems with a minimal driver install. I don't have much to compare it to but it sounds much better than the onboard Realtek audio I was using before.

Comment

I use the X-FI Extreme Music. I have had no popping and or crackling.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Originally posted by troublesome4u View Post
            I use the X-FI Extreme Music. I have had no popping and or crackling.
            ditto

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Then why do I have it? It's so annoying.

Comment

Hmmm
                Poping/crackling is a bit worrisome.
                Thanks for the input.

IronClaw

Comment

Its on all of them execpt the elite pro version... And though some people may not hear it on there PC's its there at a very low frequency that you probably cant hear. The problem lie's in the design, and probably wont be fixed by a driver update.

Its a conflict with different PC components, research which parts are on "Working PC's" to get best results.
                  Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by jmaker View Post
                    Then why do I have it? It's so annoying.
                    What motherboard are you using jmaker ?

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I have the platinum and like BV said, I too have the crackling/popping issue. It's weird though, because I DL'ed the latest drivers when POE2 came out, and it stopped. Now whenever I load 2142 it starts back up again. I have found that if I turn off SLI, it is a non-issue. Perhaps something to do w/power? But I spent alot of dough for 2 cards AND a [email protected]$$ sound card, and I'm not about to let a gpu sit in my rig and not put it to use. Doesn't seem like Creative can fix this problem though.
                      |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                      [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Here's and official technical write up on the subject by Creative. You might find some useful info (scroll down a bit).

DB
                        Last edited by Dick Blonov; 10-26-2006, 06:54 PM. Reason: typo

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Is there a way to switch to dual channel mode in addition to putting RAM in their perspective slots? I've got 4*512mb sticks and I assumed that made it dual channel.
                          |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                          [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

I also had the crackling and popping issue on the X-FI Platinum when I first got it; after a week of tweaking and researching online was able to get rid of the noise on my system. I'm not sure what change finally helped, I tried so many different things in an effort to get it stopped. I also know people who have the Platinum and have not encounted the crackling issue at all. Go figure. Beyond that it's been a great sound card:)

Comment

Originally posted by B. Clawhammer View Post
                              Is there a way to switch to dual channel mode in addition to putting RAM in their perspective slots? I've got 4*512mb sticks and I assumed that made it dual channel.
                              Most likely it is dual channel. Which mobo do you have ?

DB

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X