Thinking on upgrading

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking on upgrading

Currently I have a decent (imo) system thats lasted me over a year, although it's very old in current technology.
    I have..
    Gigabyte Titan series GA-8PE800 L motherboard with intel 845pe chipset, socket 478
    Intel 2Ghz Northwood core cpu
    2 512mb sticks of 266mhz PC2700 DDR
    eVGA GeForce 6800GS 256mb
    Soundblaster Audigy LS
    2 harddrives, one a Seagate 80GB, the other a Maxtor Diamondmax 250GB, both Ultra ATA-133
    a cheap Network Everywhere (budget linksys) NIC
    Sony DRU-810a dual layer DVD/CD writer
    various bits like fan controller, etc

I've been looking for an easy upgrade motherboard, to at least give me my money's worth with my videocard (I've only got a 4x slot so it's always throttled) to throw my current stuff in if I can, becasue I don't have the money to replace all of my core components (memory, etc)

My friend has suggested this motherboard because it includes a cpu and is mid-range, leaving me room for more upgradeability because this current one is ending it's usefullness.

I know its a Celeron D, but it's 1.2 ghz more than my current CPU, has a different archetecture and much faster FSB (by over 3x!). Would this mitigate the performance loss from switching from a P4, ableit a 3 year old one? My only previous experience with celerons was from sub-gigahertz coppermines, so thats no real comparison.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Re: Thinking on upgrading

I'm not sure on the performance difference between the two processors but an extra 1.2Ghz is pretty good. The motherboard won't give you any room for upgrades though. You'd be stuck with P4's (no support for Core 2), DDR1, and AGP.

If you're looking for a budget board, there are some ASRock boards that support Core 2 chips, DDR1/DDR2, AGP/PCI-e. There isn't much room on the board because of all the legacy compatibility but you'd be able to use most of your current parts and have the support for newer parts.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I'm just looking for a ~100 dollar or less solution right now. I don't have the money to shell out for 150 dollar motherboards, then 450 dollars for a new processor, which is why I was asking about the other. I wouldn't be able to put my current processor in anything right now because they're phasing out 478s and practically giving the boards away (20-40 dollars at most places)

DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

You might as well save that money. A budget board supporting newer features will cost ~$80. Skimping on a cheap mobo/cpu combo is only going to be a waste of money. When you want to upgrade again, you'll end up needing a new mobo, CPU, RAM, and vid card. You can only hold off getting newer tech until a certain point.

Even if you could save another $100, you could afford a 775 socket ASRock board and single core CPU. It'll give some sort of upgrade path and you can use your current RAM and video card. Other than that, keep checking for deals on clearance or used hardware.

Comment

The other offer is having my friend rebuild a computer for me for ~800 dollars with a socket 775, sata, etc.
          this is how i got my current computer for about 350 last year, upgrading from a machine i had since 1999 (1.1ghz coppermine celeron, 256 ram (maxed) all pci slots, and microatx)

Comment

Originally posted by Bisclaveret View Post
            I'm just looking for a ~100 dollar or less solution right now. I don't have the money to shell out for 150 dollar motherboards, then 450 dollars for a new processor, which is why I was asking about the other. I wouldn't be able to put my current processor in anything right now because they're phasing out 478s and practically giving the boards away (20-40 dollars at most places)
            How about $56 for a mobo?

Add a cheapo Pentium D for under $100 or jump to the Core 2's for $180.

For less than $250 you'd have a foundation where you can start to replace other parts as money allows. Anandtech seem to be very impressed with this board.

Comment

Or go AMD, there cheap, and u can find a cheap CPU and Mobo combo, only problem is finding one that has AGP support.

Right at the peak of your budget is a AMD64 3400+ Venice with a free mobo 99 - Newegg.com (Click buy this combo at bottom)

This 939 mobo has AGP and PCIe X16 if you decide to upgrade... The mobo itself is "Okay"... And with a cheaper CPU "AMD64 3000+ might be towards your limit too...

Mobo
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157097

CPU
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103537
              Oyee

Comment

I haven't trusted AMD since the ~486 or possibly k6 lines, when they switched to Athlon and had the huge overheating problem (and board destruction if the fan ever slowed down/seized) I believe there was a pretty famous Tom's Hardware video of the comparison of a pentium vs athlon like that, where the athlon melted completely through the motherboard after reaching over 700 degrees within a couple seconds of the fan stopping and heatsink removal... plus one of my favorite old game's server got completely destroyed with it's 2 Athlons overheating and catching the board on fire.

Pretty much all I've heard from AMD is fanboy love and hype, much like any argument about Final Fantasy.:row__738:

Kind of like why I stick with nVidia cards since I experienced a year with an ATi Radeon 9250 and the crappyness of thier drivers, having to roll back and reinstall the drivers every time a new one came out, and finally settling with the CDROM's drivers even though they were 2 years old.

I'm also not interested in any 64 bit processor (and dual core slightly less adamant about) since iI have nothing that would require it, and with dual core, none of my programs would utilize the second core. This is almost the same reason I didn't get Windows XP until I got this computer, since most of my peripherals are legacy and didn't have 32 bit support (and thus, don't work right/at all with winxp, including my flatbed scanner)

Comment

Just about any new processor you get will be 64-bit capable, AMD or Intel. Dual core is something you should plan for in the future. Even now it's a benefit for desktop work or even alt-tabbing out of a game.

Don't knock AMD from bad experiences that happened years ago. The company has come a long way and definitely has some quality hardware for low prices. The Tom's Hardware vid on overheating processors is quite biased and really shouldn't happen if one takes good care of a computer. Even the newer Intel chipsets heat up to the point where enthusiasts replace passive cooling with active cooling or heatpipes. Also, you can't ever forget the notorious heat that P4's generated. AMD isn't the only chip to run hot in that generation of CPU's. Just keep an open mind to hardware or you'll be wandering down the Intel fanboy route.

Same goes with the ATI/nVidia battle. Although in screenshots I've seen, anisotropic filtering quality of ATI cards are better. It's nothing I'd cry over though since it's hard to notice while playing. ATI drivers are quite solid now and pretty much have been during my ownership of a 9700 Pro. I've since moved back to nVidia for price reasons as they seem to have better price/performance mid-range cards. One thing to note is a 1900XT can play Oblivion with anti-aliasing while a 7900GTX cannot due to physical hardware limitations.

That AMD combo Black Viper posted is a decent deal. You'll move up to a faster processor and leave room for dual core support. It's still a dying socket but you can find plenty of used parts for the next year or two. The ASRock boards are probably better suited for an upgrade. You want access to PCI-e because there's not much choice in AGP cards anymore. You'd be paying a lot of money for a good AGP card when it could go towards a great PCI-e card.

Comment

1.8 ghz would be slower than what I currently have, though, even if it's newer technology. In performance, how would that compare to what I have now when running say, Painkiller or BF2 or the 2142 demo? That would put it right at the minimum reqs for BF2. Farcry recommended reqs are still a 3 ghz AMD processor :/

I haven't really done any serious upgrading on computers since the 286-386 era when faster posted processor speed meant better processor performance nearly every time (and it followed into the pentium line except when C3 made the Ezra, where they half-clocked the FPU to 400mhz even though the chip was at 800mhz, turning it into utter crap)

Comment

Originally posted by Bisclaveret View Post
                      1.8 ghz would be slower than what I currently have, though, even if it's newer technology. In performance, how would that compare to what I have now when running say, Painkiller or BF2 or the 2142 demo? That would put it right at the minimum reqs for BF2. Farcry recommended reqs are still a 3 ghz AMD processor :/
                      Just for reference, my Core 2 E6300 running at 1.8Ghz can play BF2 smoothly at 1600x1200 with all settings on high. Ghz says very little nowadays, your best bet is probably to look at some reviews of the various CPUs suggested here and in other threads (ABRAs gaming rig for instance) and see what price/performance makes sense to you.

Comment

Don't look at the Ghz when comparing processors. You really have to look at benchmarks. If you compared a new Core 2 Duo at 2.1Ghz, it would crush a P4 running at 3.0Ghz. The same goes with AMD CPU's. AMD has typically made processors that process more data clock for clock compared to P4 and older CPU's. The new Core 2 processors have taken AMD's route so the actual clock speed isn't a good indicator of how good the processor really is.

I doubt Far Cry's req's specifies a 3Ghz AMD processor. The majority of AMD processors are around 2.2Ghz. The $1000 CPU's are at 3Ghz. It's probably specifying a 3Ghz P4. You can look at AMD ratings, which is the name of the processor, to get a quick comparison of how it matches to a P4. So, XP3000+ is comparable to a P4 at 3.0Ghz and XP3200+ is comparable to a P4 3.2Ghz.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X