Optical Cable w/Motherboard?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optical Cable w/Motherboard?

Has anyone try using an optical cable going to a receiver w/ onboard sound? Theoreticaly if the sound never has to convert to analog it should be as good as perfect. I am currently using a audigy 2 and was wondering why I wasn't using the optical connection instead. I know I may loose a few fps, but I don't have to hassle with creative and have cleaner sound. I would be a happier man.

Re: Optical Cable w/Motherboard?

I'm not sure on the support for optical sound with games. You'd definitely lose all the EAX HD effects and you might even drop down to stereo sound. The onboard sound has to be able to convert the sound source to digital and it just might encode it as 2.1 instead of surround.

I've always thought about getting digital speakers but I've come to the conclusion that it's a waste of money. It's better suited for movies than games because of the on-the-fly encoding required. With movies, the source is already digital so there's no need to encode the sound. I think that's why nVidia's Soundstorm onboard sound thing never moved on to the next generation chipset.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
      I'm not sure on the support for optical sound with games. You'd definitely lose all the EAX HD effects and you might even drop down to stereo sound. The onboard sound has to be able to convert the sound source to digital and it just might encode it as 2.1 instead of surround.

I've always thought about getting digital speakers but I've come to the conclusion that it's a waste of money. It's better suited for movies than games because of the on-the-fly encoding required. With movies, the source is already digital so there's no need to encode the sound. I think that's why nVidia's Soundstorm onboard sound thing never moved on to the next generation chipset.
      I didnt know that, I was about to buy some Logitech Z-5500's because they were digital... Wow, now ima have to look into it more.
      Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by Black_V!per View Post
        I didnt know that, I was about to buy some Logitech Z-5500's because they were digital... Wow, now ima have to look into it more.
        I'm not sure if newer sound cards have better encoding but my old Game Theater XP can't do surround digital output. It's nice and all hooking it up to the 32" TV my parents have but I have to stick to analog audio for surround sound... well, if I had the cables for that lol. Digital works really nice for movies though.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X