PC will not power on.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC will not power on.

Thought I'd post here and see if anyone has any suggestions. I have a newer built PC that has been working fine for about 10 months now; until last night when I went to turn it on and I got no response from it at all. I do get the power light on the motherboard but thats it. I swapped out the power supply with one I know works but it didn't help. I'm getting the feeling that my motherboard may have failed on me(ASUS A8N-SLI PREMIUM). Any suggestions of what to try or past experiences with this type of issue would be extremely helpful!

Re: PC will not power on.

Try resetting your CMOS. It's either gonna be a very small button, or a jumper on your mobo. Also try removing the battery to your mobo, then putting it back in. That might help.

Disclaimer: I'm not VERY tech savvy at these things, so maybe you should wait to see if someone else suggests doing this, and then try it yourself. lol I don't know what could happen if somehow you mess up doing it!
    |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
    [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

both good suggestions claw. You might want to pull some of your ram out and try starting up with just one chip at a time, switching out the chip until you get it to start up. Try an old vid card or onboard video and remove your current vid card. Does the Mobo Post, AKA make it's starting noises, fans etc. Does your monitor recognize any signal?

If none of those work then it does indeed sound like your MB just blew it's copper top.. :(

- -

Comment

also take out sound card and try it without it.

Asus likely has that under warranty...tha'ts pretty new... I think they do a 1 year warranty so I'd look into an RMA right away. Good products but they're service is slow as hell...though you usually get what you need in the long run.

I had an asus do the same thing on me a few months back. I had an Asus a8Vdeluxe. I haven't tried an rma yet but should. I took the opportunity to do a dual core amd chip and switch to a PCIE vid card. Some of those AMD chips are very affordable now compared to a year ago. FX 55 for less than two bills.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have tried removing the video card, sound card and ram modules, and motherboard battery. I have also tried resetting the CMOS. And just in case tried a different power switch I had laying around. The worrisome thing is I'm getting no fan noise, hard drive activity, board beeps or any of the other normal signs that things are at least trying to power up. Like Grunt has suggested I am going try to get the board RMA'd as it should still be under the 1 year warranty. I'm just hoping when it went it didn't take any other components with it.

Comment

This is a longshot, I had a similar problem with a shuttle system recently. I had to disconnect all USB devices(they draw power). It magically started after that. I'm guessing the mainboard is faulty however.
            --
            VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

I always tackle problems like this by ripping everything apart to get down to the bare basics. Disconnect everything from the PS and the mobo, including the RAM. Make sure the power connectors to the mobo are good, and give it power. If you don't get the beeps telling you everything is horribly wrong, then your processor or mobo is shot.

If you do get the beeps, then the problem was likely with one of the connections. Start reconnecting things and testing after each.

- if you have onboard video, connect the monitor
              - add RAM
              - connect HD with OS (or CD/DVD drive with OS like a Live Linux)
              - vid card and monitor (if you get this far with it working, you can breath again)
              - other stuff
              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

If you havent opened the case prior to this fault then this isnt the problem but check your cpu fan cables. If that fan doesnt go on I believe that Motherboard will keep it from powering up to save the cpu. Next I'd check the connections to the Hard drives, change out a few cables and then go to the ram switch up suggested below. I am sure you've checked the cpu fan cable though so this is pretty much useless info.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X