New Post Image Size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Post Image Size

I noticed recently, that, when the forums search results included threads with recently unread posts, including the "New Posts" results, the image the forums software gave me to click on, for viewing the first unread post, was very small. I commonly had to apply more precision with my mouse pointer than I thought otherwise necessary.

That slows me down considerably, and I've changed it for myself by authoring a userscript for use in the Greasemonkey Firefox extension. Anyone may use it if he likes. I've called it, simply, New Post Image Size.

The userscript simply doubles the width and height of that image. It looks odd to me, but I'm most content to place function before form here. I want to be able to click that image with my mouse quickly, without slowing down.

newpostimagesize.user.js

If you have any questions about how to install or use this, please do use Google to educate yourself minimally about Greasemonkey before asking questions.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: New Post Image Size

Could you clarify: Does the script double the dimensions of whatever image is being used there, or does it simply replace that image with a new one (that you chose to be the same as the old, but with doubled dimensions)?

In other words, if Apophis updates that icon so that it fits in with the forums, will this script double the dimensions of that icon, or will it replace that icon with a big orange box?

And if it simply replaces it, may I suggest the dogtags from the website favicon as an alternative? I believe that it's the same size image as the large orange box that the script gives us.

Regardless of any of that, this script gets two thumbs up from me! It's much faster this way.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

What icon are you guys talking about, anyway? Care to throw me a screenshot of the icon and it's placement?
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
        Could you clarify: Does the script double the dimensions of whatever image is being used there, or does it simply replace that image with a new one (that you chose to be the same as the old, but with doubled dimensions)?

In other words, if Apophis updates that icon so that it fits in with the forums, will this script double the dimensions of that icon, or will it replace that icon with a big orange box?

And if it simply replaces it, may I suggest the dogtags from the website favicon as an alternative? I believe that it's the same size image as the large orange box that the script gives us.

Regardless of any of that, this script gets two thumbs up from me! It's much faster this way.
        It takes the itty bitty orange icon on which you click for new posts and doubles the size by doubling the dimensions of the space the icon takes up. The icon is the same, it's just stretched.

If Apophis takes 'firstnew.gif' and changes it to something other than the itty bitty orange icon, this would double the size of whatever that icon is as well.
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
          What icon are you guys talking about, anyway? Care to throw me a screenshot of the icon and it's placement?
          It's referenced more specifically in this post:
          http://www.tacticalgamer.com/general...tml#post578685

Beyond the interruption its color poses to the site's form, its size poses a problem to the site's function. I was hoping you'd change it after Cing's post.

I thought about the dogtags, Cing, exactly, but, again, I just said "screw it" and went for function over form. I just wanted something that worked, and this preserves whatever colors are handed down from the staff.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
            Here's how it originally looks:

And here's what Wyz's script does to it:
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
              It's referenced more specifically in this post:
              http://www.tacticalgamer.com/general...tml#post578685

Beyond the interruption its color poses to the site's form, its size poses a problem to the site's function. I was hoping you'd change it after Cing's post.
              I couldn't figure out what you were linking to... Then I realized that the "permalinks" are broken for people that have their posts per page set higher than default, because the page number of the thread is part of the URL. For me, this is the link I would need to go directly to my post: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/general...tml#post578685

This: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showpos...&postcount=149
              still takes me right there, though, of course, it's not inline with the rest of the thread...
              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Wait. I'm confused. What breaks the permalinks, again?

Comment

Wait. I'm confused. What breaks the permalinks, again?
                  This:
                  on this page: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

If you notice the difference in the URL that you posted and the URL that I posted, I believe that references the number of pages in the thread, so while my post was on page ten for you, it was only on page four for me.
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

So.. vbulletin bug? I still don't have my head wrapped all the way around this.

Comment

So.. vbulletin bug? I still don't have my head wrapped all the way around this.
                      Yes, it has nothing to do with any of your scripts, AFAIK. I just mentioned it as an aside because your link to my post didn't work for me...
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X