In need of (odd) security-slash-storage system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of (odd) security-slash-storage system

Right then. I know some of ya'll out there have similar jobs as myself, namely working tech/repair for a big university or corporation. I figured I would post something here in case anyone already has something like this.

So, we'll be taking on a new project here in a few months, namely we'll be supporting a ton of laptops from another department. Now, there are others in my group that will be taking care of the imaging and software repair. Where I come in is the hardware side of things; but first the machines have to get to a secure location so I can pick them up. This won't be my office, it will be at one of our remote labs.

What I need is similar to a book drop-off system, though more secure. I need some type of locker or box that my employees will be able to open (without a key, perhaps an ID card) to put a broken laptop into, then close again. The goal is that only myself and my employees can open the box, not the general populace. We need to avoid a key for two reasons: 1) We're not giving out a key to 80+ employees and 2) keeping a single key at the computer lab defeats the purpose of making sure non-employees can't open the box.

So, does anyone know of a small locker system (as opposed to buying a whole wall full of lockers) that would function off of keyed ID cards? Or, alternatively, is there some sort of no/low-impact drop box where people could just put their laptop into the slot and I'm the only one with access to open it? Let me know if you need any clarification.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: In need of (odd) security-slash-storage system

What's your budget?

How long will the project last?

What's minimum wage for student employees?

See where I'm going?
    Battlefield Admin() ()
    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
    | for | |

Comment

yup, Student work study sounds like it would suit you rneeds and it helped me through my first degree. YAY WORK STUDY!

Comment

If there's only going to ever be one laptop at a time in there, then a drop box would be feasible, I'd think. I don't think it'd work with more than one laptop, though. But multiple drop boxes would work. I'd just put some packing peanuts in the bottom, then some soft foam eggcrate that fits edge to edge inside, then some more peanuts on top of that. I bet that would protect it...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I did some research on this yesterday, and actually found some hotel safes that work with access cards that will most likely be perfect for the job, especially if we can key them to our existing ID cards.

I have no idea where you were going with the student labor stuff, but thanks for the input anyway, heh.
          [squadl]
          "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X