Limited/No Connectivity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited/No Connectivity

OK. So I'm trying to tap into my parents wireless network, and whenever I connect, I get a "limited or no connectivity" message and can't go to the internet. Usually, when I get this message at my old place, I just restart and reconnect to my network, and problem solved. However, on my parents network, it doesn't seem to work.

I've tried:
    1. Unchecking the "notify me when there is limitied/no connectivity" box in properties and restarting.

2. Under the cmd prompt using ipconfig. I get an address and a subnet mask, so I enter this info. in the internet TCP/ICP properties (or whatever it is) and still get the same message.

Right now I'm using someone else's wireless network that's unsecured, but I really need to get some banking/personal stuff done online. I realize that I can just log onto my parents pc to do whatever I need done, but it'd be good to know how to fix this problem in the future. Any help would be appreciated.

PS. I'd rather not have to reconfig. my parents router if it can be avoided.

PSS I'm pretty noob w/networking :)
    |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
    [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Re: Limited/No Connectivity

Keys set correctly?
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

First thing make sure that your network is set for DHCP and you are getting a valid IP address. It should look something like 192.168.1.xxx for a Linksys router. Then make sure that the key is correct. I assume that you have decent signal strength.
      Retired 6th DB

Comment

What do you mean by key? Do you mean the security code? Also, where do you set for DHCP? I'll try and find the router IP address. Thanks.
        |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
        [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Yes. That's the issue I run into most often. The symptom is that I can see the network, and its power is fine, but I'm not getting an IP address from it (via DHCP).
          [volun2]
          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

If you're running encryption (WPA or WEP) and you can connect to a wireless network but cannot get an IP address, most likely you problem is a mistyped WEP key and WPA password. Double-check them.

Comment

To answer the DHCP question have a link:
              http://www.more.net/technical/win/dhcp.html

Just select the Wireless instead of the LAN to change it using the tutorial above.

The ip address of the router should be 192.168.x.1

The x for a linksys router will be 1 and for a Belkin will be 2 (I think). Log into the router and there will be a section labeled something like WEP or Encryption, it depends on the Router. You should be able to get your key from there.
              Retired 6th DB

Comment

Cool thanks guys!
                |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement