Computer won't start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer won't start

Well, I think the unthinkable just happened, my computer refuses to run.

We had a hefty power outage via high winds where I live, and when I bounced downstairs to turn on the computer..... nothing. The computer lights to all my USB toys were on, the fans started and lit up, but no familair POST beep and the monitor didn't come out of sleep mode.

I'm wondering, is there anything I can check? I have the feeling possibly my motherboard or CPU blew, somehow, despite being on a surge protector.

The fans, etc light up so the PSU is probably not the issue. It starts POST, but hangs somewhere between initializing the videocard and startup. I tried ripping things out one by one, starting with my NIC and soundcard and booting between each removal, but no dice.
    I removed my old videocard, no POST
    I put in an old videocard, no POST
    i switched monitors between these to see if it was just my monitor screwing up, no visual.

I stripped it down to everything but memory and it still wouldn't POST, no beepcode, nothing.

I drug out my old computer, blasted it off, and started slapping the stuff in it, but the winXP harddrive won't recognize on this computer, and the HD light stays on (a bad sign as well)

I have a few backups of some iffy important things, but nowhere near backing up my 300+ gb hds. luckily, i think my data hd with all my games, etc is intact, but they'l still need to be reinstalled if i need to reformat my OS drive.

Currently i'm posting on an ancient 1.1ghz celeron computer running my emergency linux hd, but i'm not sure how long it'l last seeing as the cpu fan sounds like the bearings are going. I don't have sound worked out yet, and i just have integrated video atm, so i can't join anyone playing anything.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Re: Computer won't start

You may already know this, but the hd won't recognize because the hd controller drivers are for that specific mb. I learned the hard way to always use an ups. I don't think surge protectors do much of anything.

Comment

But that wouldn't have a difference on the original computer, now would it?

DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

OMFG. like, jesus.

So i had a drink of scotch or two, and decided what the hell. I'd already pruned everything (heatsink and cmos battery included) off the motherboard and started putting it back together. and um... it started working somehow. no idea how, because before, with the memory removed there was no alarm, but there was this time. and.. i dunno. But it's working now (the hdd cables need a little dressing again, though) mysteriosuly.

Also, I have no idea how but now instead of the BIOS readout when booting up (like normal) there's a fullscreen grayscale lamda symbol like from halflife. no explanation:/ and it's never done that before.

Comment

computers do weird stuff sometimes ...now there's an understatement.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
            computers do weird stuff sometimes ...now there's an understatement.
            Indeed. I think it was because I had found a small spider colony in it when I first took it apart. (Hey, its in the basement, yaknow?) One of the babies must have crawled in somewhere and shorted out something on the motherboard, possibly.

On a side note, while my computer was down i had been scouring the web for a new set. I had found and narrowed down these:
            Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813157091
            CPU: http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16819116231

They would give me some upgrade flexibility and a decent powerered processor. I looked at AMDs but after finding a athlon 64 venice 3800+, i couldn't find a motherboard that had the 1000mhz FSB, didn't have pci-e and didn't have VIA chipsets.

I didn't want a motherboard that had PCI-E because that would require me spending another 200 on a new videocard to replace the apg one I had, which, after spending 200 on a mobo/cpu combo would be too expensive for my funds.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X