Is 720p good enough?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 720p good enough?

I am looking to by a new tv for christmass.

I have found some really good deals on 720p sets.

I have done some research and I don't see a reason to by a 1080p set.

My situation...
    1. I will by, at most, a 50" set.
    2. the viewing distance will be from 8 to 14 feet away.
    3. Will probably be playing the Wii on it.
    4. Will continue to use my current dvd player. (We watch about 10 movies a year.) It is componant out.
    5. I have dish network. I know they offer HD on some channels but definatly not on all and if I have to pay extra for them I won't.
    6. I probably will get an attena to pick up the local stations so I can watch college football in HD when it is offered.

So with that, is 720p good enough?
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Is 720p good enough?

If your trying to watch OU games, every TV will have a bad picture. Other then that. I think the new HD DVDs will eventually output in 1080p. I don't see the TV stations ever broadcasting in 1080p. HOOKEMHORNS

Comment

That seems good enough if you don't plan on getting HD-DVD or Blu-ray for a long time. Sports broadcasts will be good at 720p since it's broadcasted at that quality.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

As Sarc said, sports are currently coming in 720P. That may change to 1080P sometime in the future, but that's speculative at this point - or so I believe.

Many TV shows are broadcast in 1080i, which will appear better on a 1080 set than on a 720 set. A 1080i feed on a 720 set will still look excellent, but not as good as it can look.

Apparently the 360, PS3, HDDVD, and Blu-Ray will use 1080P/I. It's my understanding that some of these already do. Again, these will look better on a 1080 set, but will still look excellent on a 720.

On the flip side, 720 broadcasts will look worse on a 1080 set than they will on 720 sets.

I'd recommend a 720.

The fun question is: LCD, Plasma, or DLP?
        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

DLP. Purely subjective but I like how they look.
          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I have a Sony DLP and I love it. Had it about a year now.

Go ahead and get a good sound system to go with it.
            The Old Guy
            kin3
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I went with a DLP as well. I am very sensitive to the screen-door effect on LCD's and am not too keen on plasmas, so it was really the only option.
              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X