Stupid Windows Desktop Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Windows Desktop Question

Ok I managed to make my 'Desktop' icon disappear from my quick launch bar, and despite a half hour poking around can't find where to go to bring it back. Can anyone point me in the right direction??

Yes, I'm a n00b... ;)
    Beatnik

Re: Stupid Windows Desktop Question

n00b ... oh crap, where did mine go...

Try looking under the control panel to restore it, or you can try dragging the icon from within explorer to the spot you want it on the launch bar. I'm not sure either of those will work, because I've never done that before.

Comment

Right click on your task bar....click tool bars and then check quick luanch
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

My quicklaunch bar is there, but the Desktop icon that minimizes all open windows is what I'm looking to restore.
        Beatnik

Comment

navigate here: C:\Documents and Settings\Beatnik

and then drag a short-cut of your C:\Documents and Settings\Beatnik\Desktop to the quick launch bar

Comment

Cool - that'll bring up the Desktop folder instead of minimizing all windows to the Desktop itself, but it'll work! Thanks!

Actually, one more stupid Windoze question... I typically open docs by navigating through My Computer, doubleclicking on the doc or spreadsheet, and Windows would open that doc in the appropriate application. For the past few weeks though, doubleclicking on a doc just opens the application (e.g. MS Word), but not the doc itself, meaning I need to go back and re-doubleclick the doc. Anyone had and resolved this issue??

I <3 Windows, by the way. ugh.
            Beatnik

Comment

ohhhh.. THAT icon.. sorry, my bad!

I use the <Windows-D> keyboard combo to do that... if you can't figure it out :icon_lol:

Comment

Jesus. I am truly ignorant.

Feel free to quote that out of context. :p THANKS for that! I've been minimizing 4 and 5 windows at a time the past few weeks.
                Beatnik

Comment

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/190355 or http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ShowDesktop.htm to recreate the show desktop icon?

How about this for the Word problem? Start -> run -> "winword /r" may also do it.
                  Battlefield Admin() ()
                  [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                  [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                  | for | |

Comment

That did it for the desktop! Awesome. What a pain in the arse to find a seemingly simple solution. :)

The other problem isn't limited to Word - the file association is still intact for Word and Excel. The applications launch but the documents/spreadsheets don't.
                    Beatnik

Comment

Anyone know how to change just the color of the bar on the bottom. Where the start menu is and time. I am trying to make it silver and I can't fiqure out how, I dont really want to change my theme to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik View Post
                        Actually, one more stupid Windoze question... I typically open docs by navigating through My Computer, doubleclicking on the doc or spreadsheet, and Windows would open that doc in the appropriate application. For the past few weeks though, doubleclicking on a doc just opens the application (e.g. MS Word), but not the doc itself, meaning I need to go back and re-doubleclick the doc. Anyone had and resolved this issue??
                        I actually encounter this myself somewhat frequently at work. One thing I've noticed is it is usually on a file that I'm opening across the network. Double-clicking again always seems to open it the second time. Glad I'm not going crazy. :)

Comment

Yeah it opens the window and says along the bottom left status bar "Requesting Virus Scan...", and nothing happens. I have AVG running, but that's never been an issue. Also, Powerpoint opens up slideshows normally.
                          Beatnik

Comment

We use Norton at work so next time it happens I'll glance at the status bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik View Post
                              That did it for the desktop! Awesome. What a pain in the arse to find a seemingly simple solution. :)

The other problem isn't limited to Word - the file association is still intact for Word and Excel. The applications launch but the documents/spreadsheets don't.
                              Well, did you try it for Word? All the DDE stuff, etc? winword /r? If it works for one, you may have to go do it across all the Office apps...
                              Battlefield Admin() ()
                              [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                              [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                              | for | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed