• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geforce 8 series is out.

BFG's 8800GTX is only $660 bucks mommy! - Newegg

Some review's already going on:
    Toms Hardware
    Bit-Tech

DX10 looks FANTASTIC! Cant wait to hit the lottery today, that way i can have one air lifted to my house by tomorrow.

The nForce 680i chipset is out also.

Newegg
    Last edited by Black_V!per; 11-08-2006, 05:21 PM. Reason: Added Chipset too:
    Oyee

Re: Geforce 8 series is out.

768MB...lol, nice
    Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

The reviews are quite astonishing, a good read for hardware buff's like myself.
      Oyee

Comment

/me drools
        |TG| Lorian
        Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Re: Geforce 8 series is out. +nForce 680i Chipset

The new nForce 680i chipset allows for 3 PCIe bus's, two of which are full 16x, the third running at 8x (Does this mean Six GPU's in the future?)

http://www.storeplace.net/2006/10/26...november-2006/

Pictures:
          http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=4452
          Oyee

Comment

Step-up to the 8800 is available for evga owners. The queue is already quite large from what I've seen on the support forums. It could be months before getting one.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Guess I will have to trade up from my BFG 7800.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

when did it come out?

Comment

Very expensive.

I think ill wait for 2nd or 3rd generation cards to be released.
                  [defense]

Comment

It just came out today. Man I can't wait to play some games that have those kinds of graphics. MSRP is $600? I can't really afford that right now. Like phaze said I'll wait a little while. I mean really when are the first games coming out that will support that hardware?

Comment

When will the 8800 GT come out for $300. I think that will be when I bite. Just before xmas?

Comment

How much was the ATi 9700 Pro back in 2002? Man, high-end video card prices are really going up since. I'll never get what I want.

Comment

So I recently purchased an evga 7950GT for just under $300. I'm debating whether or not to use the step-up program to go for the evga 8800GTS (not GTX) for around $500.

Is the extra $200 worth the upgrade now vs. having to wait for the card prices to drop? I hear there is a performance gain even for non DX10 games... and the 8-series cards do rock for a game like Crysis.
                          |TG-12th| asch
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch View Post
                            So I recently purchased an evga 7950GT for just under $300. I'm debating whether or not to use the step-up program to go for the evga 8800GTS (not GTX) for around $500.

Is the extra $200 worth the upgrade now vs. having to wait for the card prices to drop? I hear there is a performance gain even for non DX10 games... and the 8-series cards do rock for a game like Crysis.
                            For 200 a 8-series GTX would completely "PWN" everything (With ur current rig, you almost have too), i'd do it if i had the ability...
                            Oyee

Comment

I was perusing some of the benchmarks. It isn't just a little faster, its absurdly faster than anything else on the market. Although it is expensive, it's almost as fast as dual-ATI's so factor that into consideration.

The conclusion of one of the articles was that unless you are using a 24" monitor to play games the card might be overkill because running at anything less than 1920x1200 will be CPU limited rather than GPU limited. Check out these benchmarks @ 1920x1200. I will list 3 numbers. The first is for the 8800, the second is for the GeForce 7950 GX2 and the third is for the ATI Radeon X1900 XTX:

Prey: 95, 66, 63 fps
                              Half-Life 2: Lost Coast: 166, 136, 143
                              F.E.A.R: 117, 75, 63

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion...this one is pretty telling because ESO is a well-known GPU hog. Additionally, the other cards were so far behind the 8800 that they had to turn down some detail to compare them. For this one the 8800 is a MAX DETAILS, 8x AA, 16x AF. The 7950 is at 0x AA, 16x AF, medium grass, medium fade/specular; The X1950 is at 2x AA 16x HQ AF:

34.2, 36.3, 32.9

If you've played EOS before and tried turning everything on you get an idea of just how powerful the 8800 is. To quote the article

We literally set the game's settings to their maximum, including enabling HDR before turning 8xQAA with transparency multi-sampling on for good measure. Add that to the fact that we've turned 16xAF on, and you've got one hell of a gaming experience...ATI's image quality crown is no more - the GeForce 8800 GTX has better anisotropic filtering with absolutely no angle dependency on its anisotropic filtering algorithm.
                              Even upping ESO's resolution to 2560x1600 the 8800 was still able to pull in a framerate of 40fps by changing AA to 2xTSS.

Company of Heroes. Here the 8800 is a max details, 16xTMS AA and 16xAF. The 7950 is 0xAA and 8xAF medium-high details, no post processing. The x1950 is at 2x AA and 8xHQ high details:

31.2, 34.9, 31.2.

And the one we've all been waiting for, Battlefield 2142: 8800 max details 16xQTSS, 16xAF. 7950 max details 4xAA, 16xAF. X1950 4xAA, 16xHQ:

48.3, 59.4, 50.3.

At 1920x1200, Battlefield 2142 looked awesome with 16xQ AA with transparency super-sampling enabled. The GeForce 8800 GTX simply tore through the game without any performance hiccups whatsoever - we spent some time playing the game online with the card too, finding it to maintain its smoothness at these quality settings. The unified shader architecture seems to really help with smoothness in this title.

Both the GeForce 7950 GX2 and Radeon X1950 XTX were playable at the same quality settings, but the GeForce 7950 GX2's image quality was pretty pathetic compared to the Radeon X1950 XTX and GeForce 8800 GTX.

All info came from these articles:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2054230,00.asp
                              http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...gtx_g80/1.html
                              http://www.techreport.com/reviews/20...0/index.x?pg=1
                              Twisted Firestarter
                              a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse