Are you switching to Windows Vista?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you switching to Windows Vista?

For all the Windows users, are you planning to migrate/upgrade to Vista? If so, why?

I don't pretend to be an expert at all, but for me XP Pro is stable, runs my games without problems and has adequate features for my needs. Vista is "prettier" but more resource intensive without offering (seemingly) any performance improvements. From what I read, games are slower on Vista, though security features are improved (not really an issue for this solo user).

As a Microsoft Partner:row__523: , I will likely get a no-cost opportunity to upgrade to Vista but I'm not seeing any upside to do so.

So, please...post your plans/thoughts/ideas here for discussion!:)
    I'll be upgrading to Vista immediately!
    13.04%
    I'll upgrade once I'm sure it's patched and stable.
    46.38%
    I'll not upgrade, but I'll use it if it comes with a new PC.
    14.49%
    I'm sticking with WinXP no matter what!
    4.35%
    I'm not sure yet or don't care.
    21.74%
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Are you switching to Windows Vista?

Poll added.

And I'll be waiting until I can get a really good deal on the OS. I'm not interested in paying retail prices for what seems to be an unnecessary upgrade. WinXP was a HUGE upgrade for me from WinME in terms of features, stability and security. I messed around with Win2K, but never bought it, and I'm not sure if I would've upgraded from Win2K to WinXP. WinXP is definitely superior, but, for me, it's not $300 worth of superiority. Maybe I just don't know enough about what Vista is improving, but I'm not seeing a reason to upgrade anytime soon...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Re: Are you switching to Windows Vista?

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
      Maybe I just don't know enough about what Vista is improving, but I'm not seeing a reason to upgrade anytime soon...
      Yeah, I keep reading this perspective again and again. As far as I can tell, Vista is a big question mark to a lot of people out there. Personally, I will likely be upgrading - I am looking forward to the enhancements made to the windows explorer interface, plus the improved start menu. On the other hand, I won't be upgrading immediately. I'm wanting to hear some reviews before I go and lay out the plastic. Inevitably with these things, there will be either a real benefit, or real problems to be had with upgrading, and I intend to let some one else experience those first.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
      [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
      Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

There wasn't an options for "I've already switched"...
        Twisted Firestarter
        a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
        sigpic

Comment

Maybe I just don't know enough about what Vista is improving, but I'm not seeing a reason to upgrade anytime soon...

At this point there is absolutely no reason that justifies the cost of the upgrade, unless a pretty UI is worth 300 dollars to you.

But vista does offer some very real, and exciting, core OS improvements. Transacted file system, the vaunted display layer, communication channel overhauls, increased and very much integrated security features. There is allot more in there. And the architecture allows for allot more improvements to come.

As a developer I am drooling over some of this stuff but I am not going to actually use it for at least a year (and probably two) because all my users probably won't have it.

Many of these things will be made available to XP via service packs. How many and how quickly I don't know.

Vista is critical to Microsoft's long term goals. But it is the first truly optional OS upgrade coming from Microsoft since windows 1.0.
          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

At the point when the games performance is equal to or better than XP is when I'll get it. If anyone's tried it out yet, the whole user interface is really slick. Give it a few months while it gets tweaked and I'm sure everyone will be upgrading. No, there's nothing wrong with XP but like with everything in the computer world, it's only a matter of time before everyone moves forward onto Vista. Just like now, does anyone use a version older than XP?

Comment

Originally posted by jmaker View Post
              At the point when the games performance is equal to or better than XP is when I'll get it. If anyone's tried it out yet, the whole user interface is really slick. Give it a few months while it gets tweaked and I'm sure everyone will be upgrading. No, there's nothing wrong with XP but like with everything in the computer world, it's only a matter of time before everyone moves forward onto Vista. Just like now, does anyone use a version older than XP?

I don't but we are still supporting DOS machines!!!! Yes, all they have is a 386 with DOS! (Well, until dec 31)

But we will still support Win95 until the end of next year. Win98 till the end of 08.

So we will support XP till, ohhh, 2015 probably.
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

If and when you want to utilize DX10, you'll need Vista. That's what I'm waiting for.... a game that makes me want to make the jump.
                |TG-12th| asch
                sigpic

Comment

Once I get a new machine in 2007, I'll switch to Vista.

Comment

I think the problem is gonna be that Microsoft is gonna "force" producers and distrubitors to create vista only programs. Which is not really a bad thing, but its not really a good thing either.

Like beep said, XP runs great and i have had no real problems with it. If vista has features i like i might get it, or just buy a machine that comes with it.
                    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                    -Vulcan

Comment

I'm gonna wait awhile for vista, probably for my next build when I'm ready to go w/dx10.
                      |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                      [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Got a good deal through work that will let me upgrade to Vista for really cheap, well total the package is about 250 but it includes a core 2 duo, mobo, and Vista Ultimate. So on average the price is ~$83.33, not to shabby.
                        -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

I have been using RC2 on one of my machines now for a while. It looks sweet but sucks the life out of my RAM. All in all i haven't found any relevant enhancements with Vista to justify a move from XP.

Originally posted by asch View Post
                          If and when you want to utilize DX10, you'll need Vista. That's what I'm waiting for.... a game that makes me want to make the jump.
                          Ill be waiting until the middle of next year when i upgrade my FX card. Hopefully by then all the bugs will be ironed out and prices may have dropped slightly.
                          [defense]

Comment

I've been using Vista for quite a while now. For me, it's painful whenever I have to go back to XP because the UX (user experience) in vista is so much better. It isn't any one thing that does it for me, it's lots of little things:
                            • The new copy functionality that pushes all copy issues to the end of the queue so that all "are you sure?", "unable to copy file, rety?", etc come after every copyable file has been done rather than randomly as in XP.

• Speaking of copying...you can see additional useful information when copying files such as the xfer speed in mb/s.

• We are finally done with the C:\Documents and Settings directory structure and have a more reasonable C:\Users directory. The Documents and Settings folder always annoyed the hell out of me.

• Bread-crumb-like links for directory paths when browsing through folders. So, I can type C:\User\Administrator\My Documents\Backups\2005\Expenses\IBM\Clients in a folder URI and be taken to that folder. Then be able to click on any word in the URI, like "Administrator" and be taken to that folder.

• 64 bit everything! All Vista versions except for Basic come in 32 and 64-bit versions. You get both versions when you buy Vista. So, everyone will have access to the 64-bit version at no extra charge.

• To pass driver certifications venders must supply both 32 and 64-bit versions of the driver. Being able to have a fully supported 64-bit OS will be nice.

• Security is completely revamped and includes offline and boot-level protection via BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• Searching is thoroughly integrated into the OS. For example, open any folder and you'll see a google-like search toolbar alongside the URI which allows you to instantly filter what you see in that folder. I said any folder and meant it. Open control panel and there is the same Instant Search toolbar on that folder. Or open the "Searches" folder from anywhere and see a bunch of pre-configured searches. Looking at mine I have instant searches for "Shared By Me", "Recently Changed", "Recent Pictures and Videos", "Recent Email", "Recent Documents", "Recent Email Attachments" and "Recent Music". You can of course customize new searches.

• Tags! Tag your pictures with useful information. After a recent trip to Italy I added metadata tags to all the pictures I took there. Now I can do a filter on "Rome" and see all the pics from Rome or "Florence" and see all the pics from there or even search for Rome museums and see all the pictures in Rome that were taken in museums. Tagging metadata is integrated into the OS and any file can be tagged with metadata, not just pictures. Tagging rocks.

• Many new column header controls for folders. For example, looking at my Documents folder I can click on the dropdown for the "Name" column header and choose "Stack By Name". I now see three document stack icons: A-H, I-P, and Q-Z. Clicking on these will take you to those stacks.

I could go on and on. There is a lot of new functionality that you may not notice unless you make an effort to learn the new OS, just like you would learn a new game. Most people focus on the flashy stuff like the Aero interface, which is nice, but what I really like are all the things that make me more productive like the items above.

And, least we forget, this whole conversation becomes a moot point as soon as the first great DX10 only game comes out ;). This may not be anytime soon, but it won't be never.
                            Last edited by Twisted_Firestarter; 11-12-2006, 01:18 PM.
                            Twisted Firestarter
                            a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                            sigpic

Comment

Well, I'll definitely get Vista once it's proven to be fairly stable amongst the masses. But not with my current system.

I'll be getting the Ultimate Edition for my next build. :)
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X