Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual monitor woes

Need some help please.

Have got two monitors, problem is I cant get them to work at same time. I can set either to be my primary which works fine, but the other monitor I cannot extend my desktop too.

Now I notice in NVIDIA control panel it only says single display and not "clone" I am wondering if my computer is not picking it up, but if it didn't why would it work as a primary monitor?

I have two graphic cards, which I have plugged the monitors into each one and tried it that way but to no avail.

I'm stuck as my knowledge is pretty basic
    Would like some suggestions as to how to fix this problem please

TG-E1st TacticalGamer European Division |

Re: Dual monitor woes

Please tell us: what type are your graphics cards? How many video plugs do they have? Which OS are you running? XP, 95, Vista, Linux, BS2000? What drivers are installed?

Comment

I'm presuming that those two cards are SLI configured.

I'll also presume that each of your cards have dual display capability (dual analog, dual DVI, analog/DVI combo, etc.)

What you need to do is plug both monitors to one of the cards (preferrable the primary one).
      So if you have a analog and a DVI, one monitor connects to the analog and the other to the DVI. I'm sure you understand how to hook your monitors to one card.

Then go into the nVidia CP and now you should be able to enable and use nView to extend, or split your desktop between the two monitors.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
        I'm presuming that those two cards are SLI configured.

I'll also presume that each of your cards have dual display capability (dual analog, dual DVI, analog/DVI combo, etc.)

What you need to do is plug both monitors to one of the cards (preferrable the primary one).
        So if you have a analog and a DVI, one monitor connects to the analog and the other to the DVI. I'm sure you understand how to hook your monitors to one card.

Then go into the nVidia CP and now you should be able to enable and use nView to extend, or split your desktop between the two monitors.
        Thanks for replies. My friend at local shop sussed this out. If you have sli you cannot have dual monitors enabled, but if you disable sli throuigh nvidia control panel, hey presto both work fine.

So we have come to the conclusion that i will not be able to use 2 monitors whilst i have sli enabled.

Would this be true?

Originally posted by marstein View Post
        Please tell us: what type are your graphics cards? How many video plugs do they have? Which OS are you running? XP, 95, Vista, Linux, BS2000? What drivers are installed?
        7800gt x2
        xp 64 bit professional
        latest nvidia drivers as of this month

Comment

Oh interesting, never knew that. I guess I can think of more than 1 reason why that would be...hmm interesting indeed.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

wow, i didn't realize that either. looks like the solution might be to slap in a third non-nvidia card. ack.
            flux
            [tg-c1]

Comment

Yep that is correct. You cannot run 2 monitors in SLi mode. You have to disable SLi to get the second monitor to work or as was suggested you can add another card for the second monitor

Originally posted by Rock View Post
              Thanks for replies. My friend at local shop sussed this out. If you have sli you cannot have dual monitors enabled, but if you disable sli throuigh nvidia control panel, hey presto both work fine.

So we have come to the conclusion that i will not be able to use 2 monitors whilst i have sli enabled.

Would this be true?

7800gt x2
              xp 64 bit professional
              latest nvidia drivers as of this month
              Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
                Yep that is correct. You cannot run 2 monitors in SLi mode. You have to disable SLi to get the second monitor to work or as was suggested you can add another card for the second monitor
                Any ideas on a card that would be cheap to run the other monitor?

Depending it fits in my case of course!

Comment

How about say, a ATI Radeon 9200? Get it from Newegg, it'll cost around $30-40 dollars.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

for non gaming purposes a PCI graphics card does this job well. I have a friend do that, had a 6800GT agp card then 2 other PCI cards so he had 6 monitors going at once, was pretty cool.
                    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                    -Vulcan

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...