No announcement yet.

Old games and new(er) video cards.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old games and new(er) video cards.

I have some games that are a bit older (CivIII being one of them).

They all install and start up and I hear the background music plaing. But the screen is black and the monitor says "Out of scan range".

I had a hunch so I took out my 6800 gs and put back in my old ATi. And the game came up just fine. I notice that the default resolution was either 640x480 (or might have been 800x600). I changed it to 1024x768, re-installed the 6800gs and it now it works.

I have noticed that in the control panel I can't even set my resolution to 640x480. 800x600 is their but the games can't seem to invoke it.

Any body else have this problem? Found any solution other than hunting down each applications config file and setting them there?
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Old games and new(er) video cards.

That's a very weird problem. I've never had that problem happen with any of my older games.

Hmm, did you install the drivers for your monitor? If you didn't I suggest you do, nowadays just plug and play sometimes doesn't invoke the best compatibility.

Personally I don't think CivIII is "old", it's still more recent than say AOE 1 or Freespace 1.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed