TV tuner cards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV tuner cards

Does anyone know about the ATI All-in-wonder HD tuner card? I mean how they work.

Currently i have Direct TV and a Tivo. But someone told me that If I got this card and put it in my computer, then i could hook my computer upto my TV and I could get rid of the Direct TV and the TiVo, cause ill have the same DVR capability. But wouldnt i still need Direct TV to get the channels? When i looked up the tuner card on the net it says it is capable upto like 100 or 120 channels something like that.

If this is the case then couldnt I just leave my computer hooked up to my TV and have some kind of splitter so I could run multiple TV's? and if thats the case do the other TV's have to all be watching the same thing?
    QUOTE : "Icsist has a little shameless behavior in the past"
    Nice remark guys.

Re: TV tuner cards

I mean as soon as Vista comes out Ill be building a new machine so Ill need to do something with this old one.
    Nice remark guys.

Comment

my buddy has one and we set it up and you HAVE to have either the HD cable box of the converter from Direct TV...otherwise all you get is the freebie "Over the Air" stuff..and it sucks ass compared to digital reception..

don't waste the money...just my $.02 worth...:)

Comment

Thanks Birdie for the advice. I was highly debating this just for the DVR feature. But I already have TiVo anyways. And i think Direct TV probably offers a DVR now if i really wantted.
        Nice remark guys.

Comment

I don't have personal experience with the ATI all-in-one cards, but I do have a Hauppauge tuner card and have had no issues.

I personally don't want to mix my tuner card and video card. If one fails, you have to replace both. If you want to upgrade one, you have to upgrade both. I've upgraded my video card four times but have used the same tuner card during that period.
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

Comment

I got an ATI AIW 9800pro because everyone told me that they had fixed their drivers. They haven't. The card works great, but you have to use third party software to get it to work properly.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd buy the video card that I wanted, and then add a TV Tuner card to it...

Unless you're a serious hacker, your PC is not going to replace your Direct TV box, but it can easily replace your Tivo, which is nice if you also have a DVD burner in that machine...
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Would the DVR work even if i was playing WoW or something like that? Or would I just have it on the computer i dont game on.
              Nice remark guys.

Comment

It depends on the software it comes bundled with. The problem with mine is that you can minimize the DVR software when it's recording a show but you cannot mute the sound. If you do, it won't record the sound. There's probably a workaround for that, or better software, but I haven't found either.

I love my TV tuner card though just for the fact that I can program it to record Lost each week, then burn it to DVD to watch on my TV downstairs.
                "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Icsist View Post
                  Would the DVR work even if i was playing WoW or something like that? Or would I just have it on the computer i dont game on.
                  I have an ATI TV Wonder and the ATI software has the option of muting he sound when doing a timed recording. I'm not sure if it just mutes the tv tuner line input or mutes all computer sounds. It seems to be buggy since the sound plays anyway and certain versions of the software doesn't even record properly.

In any case, I don't think it's a going to be fun playing a game while recording a show. It's going to be writing to the harddrive a lot and that could really bring down FPS. It might be better to build an HTPC so this machine will be dedicated to recording shows and playing back various media.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^> View Post
                    It depends on the software it comes bundled with. The problem with mine is that you can minimize the DVR software when it's recording a show but you cannot mute the sound. If you do, it won't record the sound. There's probably a workaround for that, or better software, but I haven't found either.

I love my TV tuner card though just for the fact that I can program it to record Lost each week, then burn it to DVD to watch on my TV downstairs.
                    It also depends on the card.

The hauppauge cards have the decoder built onto the card as opposed to relying on cpu cycles. If you then you snapstream (beyondTV) as your DVR software, you can play games while recording. This software is optional however.

In any case, I don't think it's a going to be fun playing a game while recording a show. It's going to be writing to the harddrive a lot and that could really bring down FPS. It might be better to build an HTPC so this machine will be dedicated to recording shows and playing back various media.
                    I use two different HDDs in the same machine. One for gaming and one for media (movies, photos, mp3s) and haven't had any problems.
                    |TG-12th| asch
                    sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...