Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Review] BenQ x700 Pro Keyboard

BenQ x700 Pro Keyboard - Review

I thought I'd do a review of this keyboard for those of you who may be looking for a better keyboard than the generic ones you are playing on now.

First off let me start with a link to where you can purchase one: click here

Overview
    Manufacturer: BenQ
    Model: x700 Pro
    Color: Black and Turqoise/Gray Combination
    Connection: USB (PS/2 adaptor included)
    Weight: About 5 pounds
    Keys: Standard + Additional media and multifunction keys

You'll find some decent views of the keyboard in the link above and at the time of this posting it is only $14.99 + s/h (~$21 shipped).

A little background... The x700 Pro is the entry model of the 7xx series of keyboards by BenQ (a division of Acer) that was designed by BMW Group. There are two higher end models both of which are wireless. The next model up is 27 mhz RF wireless keyboard with no mouse. Whereas the high-end model is a 2.4 ghz wireless keyboard and mouse combo.

Let's start with looks. The keyboard has a unique look that most keyboards lack, it is curved (like that of the function x^2). The keyboard sits within a black stand that gives it the usual "slant" on two integrated legs within its design (see pic above).

The keys of the keyboard are all black with white lettering and seeming Impact font was used as well. While the keyboard itself is actually a light turquiose gray silver combination, even though the picture shows it as a light matte grey. The keyboard's silver along with the multimedia keys have a semi-reflective glossy look to them and overall I think gives the keyboard the feel of a BMW 3xx series automobile.

Onto the multifunctions and other useful/unique features...

The keyboard comes with an entire top row of media function keys and even a volume knob, play/pause, stop, next track, prev track, and mute buttons! On the left side are the "___ lock" indicator lights and a red scroll wheel with two extra buttons below.

The top row of silver function keys are customizable with the included Q-Type software, except for the "F-Lock" key. The media buttons in the center of the top row of function keys are not bindable and are preset to be used with the default media application on your computer. Below the silver function keys are the usual F function keys, but these are dual function. They allow you to launch spell check, save the current document you are working on, print, open and close documents, and even reply to IMs when Messenger is minimized (or your favorite IM program). If you want to use the F function keys normally within the current program you are running, simply engage the "F-Lock" key, and viola, the F function keys are returned to normal.

The keyboard has another unique physical feature. It allows you to "expand" the wrist rest of the keyboard stand and keyboard. If you move the keyboard all the way, then "pop" it forward (towards you), you can then remove the keyboard itself from the stylish black stand it sits in normally.

Other than what I have covered, everyone has one question: How does it feel when you type?

Well that question is simple. It feels like you are typing on a laptop keyboard rather than a normal desktop keyboard. For those of you who don't know how that feels, it feels somewhat soft but as you type the keys make a plastically clicking sound. The keys also are not as high as a normal keyboard...more like half height. And due to it's "X Structure", the keys are supposed to not wobble like traditional keyboards. But I find no real difference in the wobbleness of this keyboard versus that of a traditional keyboard's keys. The laptop feel also seems to have found its way to other top of the line "gaming" keyboards (Logitech, Microsoft, etc).

Lastly, the keyboard is a USB keyboard by default, but comes with a USB to PS/2 adapter.

Verdict: 95/100
    I find this keyboard a very nice buy for the price, and it fits nicely with a black and/or gray/silver system setup. It has a hefty feel to it which usually means that it is better built keyboard. The only thing lacking it seems is other "blank" keys that could serve as extra macro keys (multifunction). It is a good buy, and I believe this keyboard will last me many years to come (unlike some generic ones).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: [Review] BenQ x700 Pro Keyboard

I dont know about you, but i feel it VERY uncomfortable typing on a laptop.. Since the keys are lower profile and all.. I guess Ill just stick to what i know best.
    QUOTE : "Icsist has a little shameless behavior in the past"
    Nice remark guys.

Comment

It isn't as low profile as a laptop, it has more bounce than laptop keys but the closest relative feel would be typing on a laptop keyboard, even though the feel isn't identical.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

You'd better hope this keyboard is good, I'm buying it based upon your review.
        Kidding, actually my old keyboard just died, it was a low profile keyboard that had smaller keys and was comparable to a laptop. this seemed like the best option. Right now I'm using some HUGE, UGLY AST keyboard (without windows key) and it sucks. I used to love this keyboard, but the keys are HUGE and sound like a typewriter.

Nice review, looks and sounds like a great, affordable option.

Comment

nice review, but this the keyboard i want :)

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

Comment

well, I just got my X700 in the mail today. It's a pretty good keyboard, it has a nice feel to it, though my previous keyboard (cheap Zippy) felt more like a laptop, had quieter keys and cost less. But this does have the cool factor because it was designed by BMW and looks pretty cool, matches my mouse, speakers, monitor etc.

There is one major problem with the keyboard though. That is the function and shortcut keys, they require the Q-Type software on the CD. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, however once installed, there are three different programs running up to a total of 18 - 25MB of memory! what a memory HOG!

There's one for the OSD, audio/media player controls and one for web controls.
            You can disable the OSD.exe but it still runs and consumes around 9MB.

BenQ did a horrible job with the software and support of this keyboard. There was only one version of the Q-Type software (V 1.0) released, and it's not even on their website, as this keyboard has been discontinued.
            That means no updates, no real support etc.

But hey, I paid $15 for mine, what can you expect? Overall I'd probably never use the hotkeys anyways. The hotkeys for me weren't really a selling point.
            Sure, I could have bought the X120 but it doesn't have the cradle for the keyboard, and after trying my X700 without it, it's not too stable.

Overall, I give this a 4.5/5 it'd be nice to have software updates with Q-Type consuming less resources. But as a gamer, I prefer the extra buttons on my mouse to lame-o media keys on my keyboard.

Great keyboard, great feel, great price. Get one if you can!

Comment

Well it's only 18 megs or so. Personally that's not a biggie for me especially if you have 1 GB or more of memory. The way I look at it, having IE7 open to MSN.com already eats up 14 megs of RAM. Hmm didn't notice it was "discontinued*. Haven't check the their site since I bought the keyboard lol.

@Cappy...most of us can't afford that much for a keyboard. I'd be too afraid of dropping it or spilling something on it.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

By the way, this keyboard is $4.99 (+$5.64 shipping) at newegg now. Doh, it's out of stock already.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  Well it's only 18 megs or so. Personally that's not a biggie for me especially if you have 1 GB or more of memory. The way I look at it, having IE7 open to MSN.com already eats up 14 megs of RAM. Hmm didn't notice it was "discontinued*. Haven't check the their site since I bought the keyboard lol.

@Cappy...most of us can't afford that much for a keyboard. I'd be too afraid of dropping it or spilling something on it.

lol i said i wanted it, not gona buy it :) hell i could prolly but my second vid card for the price of that thing :icon_eek:

Comment

Actually, I ordered two keyboards last week when my old Zippy died.
                    I ordered the X700 for $15.99 and a Bytecc SKB-2200 Slim Multimedia Pro Keyboard with 2x USB ports on it for $24.99

While the Bytecc was very slim, compact and had quieter keys, I actually prefer the X700. Or maybe I've just gotten used to the X700, but it took a surprisingly short time to "Break it in" and continue to excel in Battlefield 2 and 2142.
                    I actually highly recommend this keyboard.

Futureshop is selling it for $17 with a web sale, that's the best price in Canada (trust me, I looked everywhere), not sure about the U.S.

I'm going to take super good care of this keyboard, because I know it'll be almost impossible to replace in a few months.

Comment

Well I love the x700Pro. Can't go back to the cheapo generic ones I was using.

Yea I noticed the $4.99 sale. I wish I had bought mines for $5 instead of $25.

BTW, those 2 USB ports on your keyboard...bandwidth to those 2 ports will be limited since it's shared with the port your keyboard is plugged into.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Well it's back in stock at newegg at $28. Is it worth $28 Arco? The paint on the keys of my Saitek are wearing out, so I'm starting to look for replacement keyboards.

Comment

Well to me it's worth not more than $30. Overall, I love the keyboard and I can't find anything even close to what this keyboard can do and feels like. Honestly, the keys on this keyboard haven't even shown any signs of fading yet. I would wait until it drops to around $25 before buying. At $28 it's more than I paid for mines...unless the shipping is cheaper than $5. It's really up to your own preference. Besides I don't know what keyboards you have used in the past.

I don't think it's discontinued...or else why would NewEgg have more in stock?
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X