Modem help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modem help

Every night around 7 - 9 pm my cable TV starts getting " blocky " and my internet / TV goes out... I have to manually go down to my utility room and unplug the modem for 30 sec or so and then restart it. Then i have to do the whole ipconfig /release /renew deal just to get my internet back up... I typically do this before I raid or whatnot now so it doesnt go out...

Ive had this problem ever since i got this cable service and it kind of annoys me.. When it does go out If i have nothing going on, I call the cable company and make them come do it cause it dont cost me anything, all they do is reset it and do the same ipconfig thing i do..

Do I have a bad modem or whatnot? The cable company says its fine, but i dont think they know what they are doing...

Also whats a good wireless modem? My D-Link went to hell and doesnt ever seem to work anymore, so If i want to use my laptop i have to take the cable out of my desktop to get that thing fired up.. Any help would be appreciated...

I do have 5 TV's in the house... 3 of which have thier own cable boxes, and I cant get my cable company to come link the other 2 TV's cause they are always busy or some s***. Maybe im just pushing too much through my modem possibly?

BTW I live in a town of 800 people so I have no choice but go through the local cable company, unless i went satellite, but if i did that my TV / internet would be roughly another $50 a month for the same stuff i have now
    QUOTE : "Icsist has a little shameless behavior in the past"
    Nice remark guys.

Re: Modem help

I'd definitely get them out there and make them find a more permanent solution to the problem. From the time frame you said this happens it sounds like over saturation of your cable node as 7p-9p would be prime-time.

Wireless modem or do you mean router? I have Time Warner Digital Phone so I use their Motorola VOIP modem but it goes into my Netgear WGR614 wireless router.

Comment

yeah router sorry, thats what i meant.
      QUOTE : "Icsist has a little shameless behavior in the past"
      Nice remark guys.

Comment

If you stick with the major vendors: Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, you really can't go wrong. I'm partial to Netgear myself but I think the other popular vendor for TG folk is Linksys.

Personally, I stay away from USB wireless adapters (I use a Netgear PCMCIA NIC for my work laptop) but if you are open to a USB adapter, TechDeals shows a pretty good deal on a D-Link bundle:

http://www.techdeals.net/2006/11/21/...g-bundle-1924/

I can't get to buy.com from work to check the model #s but looks like it's a 802.11g router with a USB adapter for $19.24 with free shipping after a $35 rebate and a $10 Google Checkout discount.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X