Clear All

• Need advise on a card upgrade...

OK... my current system:

Dell XPS Gen 4
    P4 3.73 Mhz processor
    2 gigs of DDR2 ram
    PCI-E Raedon 850 XT w/ 256 video ram
    Soundblaster

I need a good, better video card that will run shader model 3.0 for the new Rainbow Six game and Armed Assault...

I plan on getting a totally new and state of the art system in about 18 months once Microsoft's new operating system has the bugs worked out and proper hardware/game support... so I only need a good, better video card with shader model 3.0 and at least 512 video ram... price ain't to much of an option but i don't want to blow alot of money for something I will replace in 18 months.

BTW my power supply is a 450 watt, I know that has something to do with how much video card to get.

my question... should I get:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814195024

or any other suggustions... higher or lower... need to get this ASAP because Dec. 12 R6 gets released and requires shader model 3.0.

Thanks for any input.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: Need advise on a card upgrade...

If you don't mind nVidia cards, spring for a 8800 GTS. It's about the same price point and has much more performance and features. This should be fine on a 450W and you won't have to upgrade for 2-3 years.

A X1950Pro will get you by for the next 18 months.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814103022

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
      If you don't mind nVidia cards, spring for a 8800 GTS.
      I agree here. I will be picking this one up as well. I am looking at the BFG 8800.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

thx, alot of people telling me to go with the GeForce 8800... got a link for that one, I see a number of them but don't know which is the better one of the series.

Will it be hard, meaning problems with the system, when moving to a completely new graphic card? meaning driver conflict and all.
        Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

I have always used BFG. I have not had a problem installing a new card in an existing system. Just make sure you remove all of the old drivers before installing the new ones. For that I use Driver Cleaner 3.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

I'll second using Driver Cleaner. Read the readme.txt and follow the instructions and you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever.

I want to make sure than your PSU is strong enough though. On the back, you should see a sticker resembling the picture below. Could you list off the 'DC Output' and 'Max Output Current' lines?
            Last edited by Nikolas; 04-22-2007, 11:15 PM.
            A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

You could almost pick any brand for the card. BFG, eVGA, XFX, whatever. If you want to pick the best, look at warranties. Most are lifetime but the definition of lifetime will be different from company to company. Some companies don't allow lifetime warranties to be transferred if you sell the card. I've also heard that eVGA won't pay shipping for RMA's anymore.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I didn't see that picture/sticker on the back... probally inside the case... but heres my spec sheet.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1052939
                Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
                  I need a good, better video card that will run shader model 3.0 for the new Rainbow Six game and Armed Assault...
                  You're probably looking for a better upgrade, but I've got an EVGA 6800GT 256MB just sitting on my desk collecting dust. It supports shader 3.0.
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I prefer EVGA since I have had no problems whatsoever w/them, and their warranty and step up programs are pretty sweet.
                    |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                    [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

eVGA and BFG have sterling reputations.

Magnum, the link you provided does not really have the information I need. After looking at the back of my own Dell at work I found that it does indeed not have the sticker that retail PSU's come with. Now, Dell PSU's are known to be of exceptionally high quality, but the 8800 series of GPU's require an exceptional amount of power (the GS far less than the GTX, but it's still worth investigating). I'll take a look around the internet and see if someone else hasn't provided the voltage information for your PSU.
                      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

Comment

Can you pick your machine and PSU from this list? It only shows 250W PSU's for Dell XPS, which sounds a bit suspect. But it may help none the less.

List.

Comment

If you're thinking of the 8800GTS make sure you have these two things covered:

1) The card actually fits in your case. The card is quite long compared to other cards on the market.

2) Power.

Your 450 watt should be fine... altough it is cutting it a bit close. Other then that I'll suggest a BFG cards. Lifetime warrenty and great customer support.

Comment

A great review of the 8800's (EvGA stands out)
                            http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2873

Comment

I would suggest if your gonna upgrade start at your mobo and get one capable of sli (dual video) thats the future..
                              I.R. Hogan |TG|

Discipline is the soul of an army.
                              It makes small numbers formidable
                              procures success to the weak
                              and esteem to all.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse