Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my computer becoming a vacuum cleaner?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my computer becoming a vacuum cleaner?

When I turned on my computer this evening the fans - Processor fans? - turned into what sounded like a vacuum cleaner - Whhoooooossssssssss. The fans were blowing so hard I could have blown dried my hair.

Here's the deal though: This has happened to me before and I had a Dell technican come and fix the problem (I have a Dell XPS). It's been OK for about five weeks but I noticed the problem occured again this evening. So I turned the computer off, unplugged the outlets, opened the case (which the 800 tech service instructed when I had the orginial occurence) and moved acouple wires connecting the fan, closed the case and the fans seem to be running smoothly.

In the almost two years I've owned my computer I have never had an issue and the service is covered under my warranty. I can have another Tech service come out for free to have alook if the problem occurs again but was wondering is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?
    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
    - Check me out on The Onion
    - I'm on the local news!

Re: Is my computer becoming a vacuum cleaner?

If the fans are partially obstructed it can cause the sound you described. You did the right thing by making sure the cables aren't blocking the fans. It may also be time for a dusting.
    Last edited by Wimpinator; 11-28-2006, 08:53 AM. Reason: I'm a freaking idiot
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
      You did the right thing by making sure the cables are blocking the fans.
      Doesn't sound like a very good idea to me. ;)
      |TG| Lorian
      Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

so what exactly did you do when you opened the case? Move a couple wires around?

Comment

Originally posted by Lorian View Post
          Doesn't sound like a very good idea to me. ;)
          I should have known better than to post early in the morning. For clarification:
          AREN'T people AREN'T ;)
          Retired 6th DB

Comment

If the problem starts to happen frequently, I'd say get them to come out and service your machine.

I have issues with my fans making extra noise when it's cold, but after they warm up for a minute or two they're quiet again.
            [squadl]
            "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by BHack View Post
              so what exactly did you do when you opened the case? Move a couple wires around?
              Yes. I moved the wires that connect to the fans. Not sure what it was suppose to accomplish however.
              |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
              - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Possibly the wire was brushing up against the fan as it spun? It makes a very loud sound if that's the case. If moving your wires around stops the noise you should probably tie your wires back so they don't dangle in front of the fan.

Or you could just try taking the fan out and remove all the dust on your fan and CPU heatsinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoopy_T View Post
                  Or you could just try taking the fan out and remove all the dust on your fan and CPU heatsinks.
                  Do both if you have the chance.
                  |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                  [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

My fans are still blowing like a hair dryer when I turn my computer on. So I turn off the computer and, blow (yes blow) into the processor fans from the outside of the case then open the case and wiggle the few wires that are connected to the fans and it usually solves the problem!

Ok, what is going on? Do the fans need to be cleaned? If yes, how do I clean the fans, with CO2 air?

Are the wires in the way of the fan?

Does something in the computer, a program say, control the speed of the fan? Can you adjust the fan settings?

It's very weird!
                    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                    - I'm on the local news!

Comment

You'd have to have your computer running with the side door open to see if the cables are in the way of the spinning fan. If they are, just tie them off so they aren't in the way (I suggest some plastic bag ties, nothing that has metal in it).

As for variable fan speeds, it depends on if your CPU fan supports variable speed adjustment and if your motherboard can monitor and control the fan. I don't recommend messing with the speed of the CPU fan, just leave that alone (could cause major problems if you don't adjust the speed correctly).

Another thing you could also do is request that Dell have a tech come over and replace the CPU fan with a new one. They should be able to do that onsite, and just quote by saying that this incident has been occuring several times and that you have a warranty.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X