Awesome Software: Synergy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome Software: Synergy

Its a peice of software that lets you use 2 Computers but only 1 mouse and Keyboard. Both PCs have to be on a network and connected together. Its like using dual monitors in how it moves between the 2 screens. I found it on CNET.com. It works for PC MAC and Unix boxes. Might be useful for some of you mega nerds out there or those who have a Media Center PC hooked up to your TV

http://www.cnettv.com/9710-1_53-24717.html

Synergy
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Re: Awesome Software: Synergy

Interested parties might Google:

win2vnc
    x2vnc
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

That has some really useful applications since VNC has trouble displaying 3D apps.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

If this is anything like Desktop Rover it is more like a virtual KVM than VNC. I've been using Rover for several years now and can't live without it.

It looks like Synergy doesn't share clipboard contents across machines. That's one really nice feature of Rover, you can copy something to the clipboard on one machine and then sling yer mouse to the other machine and paste the contents there (url's, files, excel cells ...).

But then again Rover doesn't work across different OS's and it isn't free :p

Nice find
        flux
        [tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by flux View Post
          If this is anything like Desktop Rover it is more like a virtual KVM than VNC. I've been using Rover for several years now and can't live without it.

It looks like Synergy doesn't share clipboard contents across machines. That's one really nice feature of Rover, you can copy something to the clipboard on one machine and then sling yer mouse to the other machine and paste the contents there (url's, files, excel cells ...).

But then again Rover doesn't work across different OS's and it isn't free :p

Nice find

If you watch that video you...the demonstrator actually copies something from the mac and pastes it on the PC....kind of interesting
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

I'd like to be able to drag files from machine to machine with this stuff, or to copy a file to the clipboard and paste it into the other.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

The only bad part about Synergy is it relys on 2 displays, so it really doesn't replace a KVM. Rover looks pretty sweet, but it costs $50 bucks.
              "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
              He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^> View Post
                The only bad part about Synergy is it relys on 2 displays, so it really doesn't replace a KVM. Rover looks pretty sweet, but it costs $50 bucks.
                I think Synergy is a different way of using two computers. A KVM requires you to switch your view to the other computer. Synergy is more like a dual monitor setup but your second monitor is a different computer. It could be handy for developers testing out a client-server app, especially if the server is running on a different OS than the client. You can see what's happening on both computers at the same time.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                  I'd like to be able to drag files from machine to machine with this stuff, or to copy a file to the clipboard and paste it into the other.
                  Synergy does copy and paste across computers.

I would like the drag files option too, so I created a folder on each machine that exists entirely for dragging files.

Just copy the file on pc1 you want to transfer to pc2 into that folder, and then on pc2 open that networked folder and drag from there into pc2's folder for that purpose.

It's a bit awkward, but it does the job semi-efficiently.
                  aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X