tell if someones using my wireless?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tell if someones using my wireless?

Is there a way to tell who is currently using my wireless network?

I'm home alone, all my kids PC's are off, my 360 is off, just this one PC on, but every site is slow, and even if not using the internet/PC the usage lights on my wireless router and my cable modem are going crazy.

Is there a way to see who's on my connection?

thx
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: tell if someones using my wireless?

Is your network setup through a wireless router or a wireless modem?
    | | |

Comment

Just set up WEP (can't say how, I have a wired network) and you're sorted.
      |TG| Lorian
      Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Set up WPA encryption, not WEP.

This will elminate their ability to use your wireless.

As for finding out who it is, look at your DHCP leases in your router and see if there is a name assigned with one of your IPs that you don't recognize.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I use MAC filtering to lock down my wireless. YES I know you can spoof a mac address but I have my DHCP leases set up for like 1 week at a time. So you'd have to wait awhile.

I just do it to keep the neighbors off. If some wireless hacker nerd really wants to get on my network he will. Don't see why he wouldn't just use one of the other 6 completely unprotected wireless networks in my neighborhood though.

Comment

thx... When I formatted and set up my new router, I went without security, why? because of all the gadgets and wireless toys that come and go in my house hold... PC's, laptops, PSP's, Zune, Xbox 360, etc ect... just was easier because before with security, nothing ever connected right.

I have virus and firewall protection on all my PC stuff, and don't have anyone living within 100 yards in all direction but one, my neighbor.

So felt pretty save about my wireless, will try your "find them" method Apophis, thx.
            Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

As Apophis mentioned you can check the DHCP list to see what computers are attached or have been attached within your DHCP lease time. You will be able to easily figure out which machine is which by the IP's.
              Retired 6th DB

Comment

I had that problem once and then noticed that Xfire was downloading a patch.
                The Old Guy
                kin3
                sigpic

Comment

I go pretty hardcore with my wireless.

SSID is not broadcast, WPA is in effect and I use MAC address to maintain an access list.

Comment

Originally posted by BHack View Post
                    I use MAC filtering to lock down my wireless. YES I know you can spoof a mac address but I have my DHCP leases set up for like 1 week at a time. So you'd have to wait awhile.

I just do it to keep the neighbors off. If some wireless hacker nerd really wants to get on my network he will. Don't see why he wouldn't just use one of the other 6 completely unprotected wireless networks in my neighborhood though.
                    I do this as well, for good measure. I also don't broadcast my SSID, not that it can't be picked up anyway using some very basic wifi scanning tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                      I do this as well, for good measure. I also don't broadcast my SSID, not that it can't be picked up anyway using some very basic wifi scanning tools.

I do the same. I figure if anyone is that determined to sniff out my non-broadcasted SSID they probably know enough to defeat my computers security anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner View Post
                        I do the same. I figure if anyone is that determined to sniff out my non-broadcasted SSID they probably know enough to defeat my computers security anyway.
                        Kismet and Wellenreiter work quite well and are available on a number of Linux based LiveCD's and can save to USB keys. As long as you have a wifi card with a compatible chipset, you can do this with a relatively old laptop with no installations necessary. :)

The BackTrack LiveCD is one of the more common ones these days. Showed up quite a bit at both DEFCON and BlackHat this year.

Comment

Originally posted by BHack View Post
                          Not really. If your PC was turned off, they could spoof your MAC address and still gain access. If your PC was online, it would be a real lame DoS attempt.

Anyways, the problem with a DHCP table look-up is that if the guy is smart, he's setup a static IP to use. I know Linksys routers have a way to just view any MAC address and hostname of a PC that's on your wireless network. What kind of a router do you have?

Further, you could run a packet sniffer. There's also a program that let's you query ranges of IP addresses to see if they're active. I think it's Retina. You should be able to find a neutered version for free out there.

Basically, you scan your class C of 255 addresses to look for any active responses. But if he has a firewall on, you'd have to query ports to try and find a response.

For a cheap test: when the Internet is running slow: change you WEP key or SSID to something different. That would force the "hacker" to manually reconnect to the network. So, if you speed up after that, you could have someone stealing your bandwidth.

Comment

If you do find someone using your wireless, don't just disconnect them. They have given you the right (in my opinion, not in legal terms) to do whatever investigation is required to identify them. :D
                            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

change your ip to 169.254.1.x
                              subnet to 255.255.255.248
                              gateway to 169.254.1.1

(even if someone does get on, the 169.x.x.x range willmake it look like a more realistic failure to connect) - change this range when you change your SSID and WPA.

DHCP range from 2 to 6

set static IP's on devices that will not leave the network

set a WPA password with 12+ characters, using all 4 dictionaries (lower case, upper case, numbers, special characters)

Hide the SSID

Change said password and SSID once a month

use Mac address filtering, set the lease time to 1 day.

lower the power output of the router to only reach where you surf. A 500 yard MIMO range is pointless if you have a 1000 square foot appartment on the 4th floor.
                              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X