I might have to upgrade?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I might have to upgrade?

Well my computer just isn't getting the FPS that I would like, so I'm looking to the Tactical Gamer guys for help. We paid a good bit for this system, however the computer guy wasn't the most respectable for computer building and repair. I don't know all of the information I will need to give you, but I will try and give most of it. I play a lot of Day of Defeat Source at the moment, but I'm looking to play some Command and Conquer 3 and other such new games (yeah Quake Wars).
    I do have a mouse, keyboard and case (I will take some pictures later, maybe I should get a new/better one?) that I will use again. I also have a small HDTV for use as a monitor, so I'm covered there.

==System==

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
    Memory: 3072MB RAM
    Page File: 564MB used, 4392MB available
    DirectX Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode
    Power Supply: AcePower ACE 400W

==Display==

Name: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip Type: GeForce 6600 GT
    Approx. Total Memory: 128.0 MB

Main Driver: nv4_disp.dll
    Version: 6.14.0010.8466 (English)

I don't have a lot of money saved up at the moment ($700cdn), but I'm looking to spend $1500 or more *If need be*. I will probably use http://www.tigerdirect.ca/ for most of my purchases, but if you have a better Canadian retailer, or a retailer that will ship to Northern Alberta please tell me.
    Thanks in advance.

*Edit* I also found this on my mother board, "SATA DUAL DDR AGP 8X," so does this mean I have an AGP system? Should I upgrade to PCI Express? Thanks.
    Last edited by Lt.Snow; 12-01-2006, 07:49 PM.

Re: I might have to upgrade?

You do have an AGP system. Best thing you can do is upgrade your video card. Your processor is fine, your memory is plenty, etc. The only bottleneck for gaming is the vid card. Get the best AGP vid card you are willing to pay for. That is all you need.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
      You do have an AGP system. Best thing you can do is upgrade your video card. Your processor is fine, your memory is plenty, etc. The only bottleneck for gaming is the vid card. Get the best AGP vid card you are willing to pay for. That is all you need.
      Good to know, could you recommend a video card?

*Edit*I know more money doesn't equal more performance, but these were some of the high $ AGP cards on the tigerdirect.ca website. What do you think about these:
      http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=10&Nav=|c:318|&Sort=1

Thanks.
      Last edited by Lt.Snow; 12-01-2006, 09:45 PM.

Comment

I hear the Nvidia Geforce 7600 AGP is the best buy, there's a 7800 model, but its really expensive, and not worth it.
        Oyee

Comment

It appears that the 7800gs is the top AGP card you'll find available, so I'd go with the XFX one. http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...819505&CatId=0

It's not a top performing card, but it is quite respectable. Maybe in 2 years or so, you'll need an entire new computer with PCI-E or whatever is fancy by then.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
            It appears that the 7800gs is the top AGP card you'll find available, so I'd go with the XFX one. http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...819505&CatId=0

It's not a top performing card, but it is quite respectable. Maybe in 2 years or so, you'll need an entire new computer with PCI-E or whatever is fancy by then.
            The only problem with that is your not using the card to its full potential, AGP8x has a small bus that the difference in the 7600 and 7800 are around 2-5 FPS, and with a 200+ price tag it'd be best to go with the cheaper 7600, witch will out perform a 6800GT on the AGP 8x bus.

The real winner would be to completely change the mobo and go PCIe
            Oyee

Comment

As for a respectable Canadian dealer, I would shy away from TigerDirect.ca if possible, I've heard quite a few horror stories from their customers, as well as they are often overpriced. The best site I can offer you is http://www.ncix.com, but it is based out of Vancouver, so the shipping might not be worth it if your east of Saskatchewan. I just upgraded from a 6600Gt myself, the difference is astounding. (Though it could be just the 8800 GTX :row__536: !)

Comment

Originally posted by Foxoq View Post
                As for a respectable Canadian dealer, I would shy away from TigerDirect.ca if possible, I've heard quite a few horror stories from their customers, as well as they are often overpriced. The best site I can offer you is http://www.ncix.com, but it is based out of Vancouver, so the shipping might not be worth it if your east of Saskatchewan. I just upgraded from a 6600Gt myself, the difference is astounding. (Though it could be just the 8800 GTX :row__536: !)
                Well since my province nabors yours, I don't think the shipping will be too bad. And thanks for the heads up on tigerdirect.

Originally posted by Black_V!per View Post
                The only problem with that is your not using the card to its full potential, AGP8x has a small bus that the difference in the 7600 and 7800 are around 2-5 FPS, and with a 200+ price tag it'd be best to go with the cheaper 7600, witch will out perform a 6800GT on the AGP 8x bus.
                I think I will go with the 7600, since the 7800 doesn't really seem worth it. (Plus I can use my savings to save up for a big future upgrade.) I see on the site Foxoq linked that they have these XFX 7600's:
                http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...anufacture=XFX
                How are these? Would you pick a different brand? Here is the page I'm going to order from, could you please find a good contender.http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...bminorcatid=49

Thanks for all of the help guys.

Comment

I use NCIX and I'm in Ontario. It's worth it just to save the PST. If the purchase is large enough, the savings will cover shipping, insurance and then some.

There's also DirectCanada that has competitive pricing. Although, NCIX will price match just about any other company. The 7800GS is only available from BFG at NCIX and DirectCanada. There's a $40 rebate if you buy before Dec. 31st. It's still a lot of money for the performance you'd get.

It's a tough decision to upgrade to PCI-e. You'd get a wider selection of cards that are cheaper but you'll be paying extra for PCI-e. Most likely your processor is S939 but whatever it is, you can find a motherboard that has PCI-e and supports your current processor and RAM.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...8&promoid=1066

This motherboard is under $100 and would give you access to the 79xx series. Most of the 79xx cards are cheaper than a 7800GS.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Snow View Post
                    Well since my province nabors yours, I don't think the shipping will be too bad. And thanks for the heads up on tigerdirect.
                    *Doh!*

Didn't even see that, well definatley check NCIX out then, the service is awesome. I ordered my latest purchase around 3:30 in the afternoon my time, it was shipped by dinner and was at my house by noon the next day, and I live a good 3 hours out of Vancouver as well. As for upgrading your mobo, it really depends on how long till your next upgrade. It wouldn't make any sense to upgrade to a PCI-E 939 and then next year wished you had gone for Intel's latest chip. However, there are a lot of good AMD processors still kicking around in 939, but in a year or less, they'll be midrange. Heck, they already are kinda midrange, so its a pretty tough call.

Comment

As mentioned, your cheapest route for better performance is an AGP video card. However, I'm not sure that would be a long-term solution. I was in the same boat you are now. I decided to plunk down the dough and upgrade the whole box. I kept my case and dvd player.

Here is what I purchased. Overall that cost me $1500.
                      |TG-12th| asch
                      sigpic

Comment

Well I'm also in a similiar situation, and you can do what Asch did or you can go for the best card for AGP (7800GS). I'm running the 7600GS, and I have to say...it can't handle high settings and struggles with medium settings.

And I see you have 3 GBs of RAM and page file on. I suggest you turn off your page file (set min and max to 0). The virtual memory usage creates a serious performance bottleneck after a few hours of play time. And you have plenty of physical RAM for both your game and your computer's other programs to use.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                          Well I'm also in a similiar situation, and you can do what Asch did or you can go for the best card for AGP (7800GS). I'm running the 7600GS, and I have to say...it can't handle high settings and struggles with medium settings.

And I see you have 3 GBs of RAM and page file on. I suggest you turn off your page file (set min and max to 0). The virtual memory usage creates a serious performance bottleneck after a few hours of play time. And you have plenty of physical RAM for both your game and your computer's other programs to use.
                          Well I guess I will need to save up a lot of money then. How would I go about turning off my page file?
                          Thanks again for all of the help guys, I guess I will just have to put up with a low FPS for a month or two. I shall make another topic some time in January once I have some more money saved up for a major upgrade. You guys were a great help.

Comment

1. Right click on your My Computer.
                            2. Go to Properties.
                            3. Select the Advanced tab.
                            4. Click the Settings button under Performance.
                            5. Click the Advanced tab.
                            6. Click Change button under Virtual Memory.
                            7. Select the No Paging File option.
                            8. Click Set, rmessage will pop up saying that "you will need to restart/reboot your machine for these settings to take effect".
                            9. Click OK until you are out of all the windows and are back to desktop.
                            10. Restart your computer.

After restarting your computer, you might notice Windows loads faster than before, and programs execute and run more efficiently as well. It should help alleviate some performance lag issues when you play 2142, but your framerates are another matter.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Just a heads up, ATI released their x1950 pro AGP. Haven't seen any benchmarks of it yet, but if its the same as the PCI version it'll be a little faster than the 7800gs.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X