RAM questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM questions

I have 2 gigs of DDR2 ram, but it came with an hp pc, so im guessing it would be pretty slow. I want to upgrade with another gig or so, but im wondering that if I purchased faster memory, would the comp first use the fast memory and then the slow memory?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
    Einstein

Re: RAM questions

It will only run as fast as the slowest stick, I think.
    |TG-33rd|Calvin

Comment

You should buy 2 new DDR2 sticks in dual channel mate- otherwise your comp will use the two slow ones as the fastest speed and won't go dual channel ( I don't believe)
      Damn the torpedos and full speed ahead!

Comment

What will 3 gigs accomplish that 2 will not?

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

You also want to check that the voltages are the same (ex: 1.8v for both) or they may not be supported on the mobo. When upgrading, you generally want to either by the same stick that you already have in there to avoid problems, or go with all new of the same stick. And yes, they will all run at the lowest speed of the ram plugged in.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
            What will 3 gigs accomplish that 2 will not?
            Agreed.

2GB is a lot and adequate for a lot of tasks. I say wait a year or so and see if you need more. Then you can add on another 2GB. RAM is just way too expensive right now for an upgrade like this.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X