mp3 bitrate changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mp3 bitrate changes

Howdy, in a bid to cram more songs onto my overflowing mp3 player, I want to trim things with a high bitrate down a bit (probably even to 128kbps, since my earphones aren't good enough to make out much of a difference with better files).

The trouble is that the program I usually use to fiddle with sound files can only do one at a time. Do any of you chaps know of a free or cheap program I can use to alter many at once?
    2142: |TG-Irr| Silverfish
    BF2: |TG-Irr| Maus

Re: mp3 bitrate changes

I use LAME. You can get it here.

It's a command line encoder, but on the link I gave you, you can get RAZORLAME, LAMEXP and other gui interfaces that support LAME.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

audiograbber can encode multiple files at once.... but I think it only works with a specific WAV file (stereo - 44100khz - 16bit float) I never tried to RE-encode an mp3.
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I would use VBR (Variable bitrate) for compact-quality MP3's, "it produces a better quality-to-space ratio compared to an equivalent CBR", CBR is your standard 128kbps, 192kbps MP3's.

"VBR allows a higher bitrate (and therefore more storage space) to be allocated to the more complex segments of media files while less space is allocated to less complex segments."

Google search for some VBR MP3 encoders, also have a look on the "Hydrogenaudio Forusm" for some easy to follow guides.

Comment

Yeah, VBR is essential, and Dick's right on for recommending LAME.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X