FireFox master password?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FireFox master password?

I would like to know what you think about using the FireFox single sign on password. That is use one password to sign on to everything, ex. bank, mail, TG, etc. Is is secure? Do you use it?

Any and all feedback welcome.
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Re: FireFox master password?

I believe Firefox uses a MD5 hash of your self choosen password. MD5 genereates a 128bytes hash of the password you set. That hash is unique so that only one combination will generate that hash. If you choose a good password, meaning that it cannot be found in a dictionary, has a decent length etc, then it will be completely safe for all practical reasons.

The only means of breaking it is by so called dictionary attacks and bruteforce. Bruteforce is almost impossible if you have a long enough password. I suggest you use a mix of numbers and special characters and upper and lowercase and have it at least 8 characters long.

You can read up on good passwordsvia a google search.

Cheers!
    --
    VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Unless you keep the master password in a sticky note on your monitor.... ;)
      Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I thought about using it and then on the recommendation of a friend tried out and ended up buying RoboForm. Not exactly the same functionality because I like having different passwords for security reasons but it integrates very nicely with both IE7 and FF2 and works quite well.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X