Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Explain video card stuff to me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Explain video card stuff to me

    I asked for Rainbow Six: Vegas for Christmas. I just found out you need "pixel shader 3.0" to even run that. I have a Radeon 9700, which does not have PS3. I talked to my brother about getting a video card that has that and wouldnt be outdated in 6 months. He said the cheapest would be ~250 bucks. Thatd be a hard thing to pass by my parental units, but its manageable.

    Anyway, he then thought that since our motherboard is "AGP" (whatever the hell that is) that PS3 probably wouldnt work since we need an "express lane", which would require a new motherboard and therefore a new processor. I would not be able to get that to pass by my parents very easily.

    So my question is, is my brother correct about all that? Or is there some video card with PS3 that wont require an almost entirely new computer?

  • #2
    Re: Explain video card stuff to me

    The Geforce 7600GS has pixel shader 3 support and you can get it in AGP for $130: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150190

    Alternatively, you can probably get someone to sell you their old Geforce 6600GT for a lot less and it also has pixel shader 3 support. However, I don't know how well it will run R6:Vegas

    Six months is a long time. The 6600GT is already outdated but still better than a 9700.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Explain video card stuff to me

      Check out this thread Santa, I have a similar hardware platform that you have.
      --
      VI VI VI - the number of the beast

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Explain video card stuff to me

        How long do you think you'll stick with your current AGP PC Santa? That imo would depend on how good a card I would purchase.
        |TG-12th|mantis

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Explain video card stuff to me

          Originally posted by Santa View Post
          Anyway, he then thought that since our motherboard is "AGP" (whatever the hell that is) that PS3 probably wouldnt work since we need an "express lane", which would require a new motherboard and therefore a new processor. I would not be able to get that to pass by my parents very easily.
          These "computers" you speak of, they can play "video" games?

          noob

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Explain video card stuff to me

            I know how you feel. I just use my Dads credit card now without asking and transfer the money across from my bank account.

            Anyway, on topic, I would get a new motehrboard with PCI-E, AGP is getting outdated, and if you still have it and want to get a graphics card upgrade, I would recommend going the whole nine yards and get a new motherboard.

            You could even find a similar board with support for your current CPU, so with any luck, you wouldn't need to replace anything else. Though replacing the motherboard does require you to reinstall Windows.
            |TG| Lorian
            Member since 18th February 2006

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Explain video card stuff to me

              LOL Bom. AGP has already peaked and there aren't any newer cards coming out, so if you choose to upgrade to the top, the next step would be the whole new computer. The new GPU may reqire a new PSU also, so going all out wouldn't be too bad.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Explain video card stuff to me

                Upgrading past AGP is out of the question because of money. I think i will only need this graphics card for a year and a half because at that point id be going to college and would need a new computer for that anyway.

                The 7800GS looks good, ill try to run that by them. Of course, ill use bom's suggestion. And get them drunk.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Explain video card stuff to me

                  Wow, did Dark Viper really approve your message? I sure wish he would approve some of my messages..
                  QUOTE : "Icsist has a little shameless behavior in the past"
                  Nice remark guys.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Explain video card stuff to me

                    Originally posted by Bommando
                    Tell your parents that computer games are the only thing keeping you safe from a life of drugs and crime. The more powerful your computer, the less inclined you are to fall into the downward spiral.
                    Lol, good call.

                    I also have an AGP MoBo, and plan on milking all I can out of it (which is not much) until next year. Mmmmm, tax returns.



                    Originally posted by Icsist
                    Wow, did Dark Viper really approve your message? I sure wish he would approve some of my messages..
                    Yeah...about that, I'd say he's like Krusty the Klown, from the Simpsons. He'll put his name on anything, as long as he thinks it'll make him some money :row__635: :row__577:
                    Focused

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Explain video card stuff to me

                      Originally posted by Lorian View Post
                      I know how you feel. I just use my Dads credit card now without asking and transfer the money across from my bank account.

                      Anyway, on topic, I would get a new motehrboard with PCI-E, AGP is getting outdated, and if you still have it and want to get a graphics card upgrade, I would recommend going the whole nine yards and get a new motherboard.

                      You could even find a similar board with support for your current CPU, so with any luck, you wouldn't need to replace anything else. Though replacing the motherboard does require you to reinstall Windows.
                      Actually it doesn't require a reinstall as long as it's a legal copy of windows. When you do the upgrade a window will pop up that complainst that this copy of XP can only be installed on one computer (or something like that). It will allow you to enter an access code. Call microsoft and they will set you up. I had to do the same thing for my mother's machine and it was like five minutes on the phone and the issue was resolved
                      Retired 6th DB

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Explain video card stuff to me

                        If you can't convince them to spring for that much, Newegg is running a deal on a bunch of hardware where they give you R6 Vegas free. The only AGP card is the x1600 pro, which isn't stellar, but it'll probably run it. And hey, after the mail in rebate you get the video card and the game for $109.

                        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814103005
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Explain video card stuff to me

                          Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
                          Actually it doesn't require a reinstall as long as it's a legal copy of windows. When you do the upgrade a window will pop up that complainst that this copy of XP can only be installed on one computer (or something like that). It will allow you to enter an access code. Call microsoft and they will set you up. I had to do the same thing for my mother's machine and it was like five minutes on the phone and the issue was resolved
                          Really? When I have tried switching hard drives running Windows between computers it just BSODs on boot.
                          |TG| Lorian
                          Member since 18th February 2006

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Explain video card stuff to me

                            Originally posted by Lorian View Post
                            Really? When I have tried switching hard drives running Windows between computers it just BSODs on boot.
                            You can't do that. What you can do is a repair install if you don't want to redo everything from scratch. An XP installation is hardware (motherboard) specific.

                            Here's a link with some info on that subject.




                            DB

                            «That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

                            | |





                            Comment

                            Connect

                            Collapse

                            TeamSpeak 3 Server

                            Collapse

                            Advertisement

                            Collapse

                            Twitter Feed

                            Collapse

                            Working...
                            X