Question about Upgrading from 754 to 939 socket

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Upgrading from 754 to 939 socket

Hey guys I have a question that I am hoping someone can answer for me. I am upgrading from an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 754 socket and an Epox SLI mobo to an AMD FX 55 2.6 gig 939 socket processor and Abit An8 32x SLI mobo. My memory, GFX cards and hard drive will be moved into the new mobo. My question is once I do the upgrade will my system boot once the install is complete? If not will a simple repair on XP do the trick? Does it make any difference that I am going from one AMD chipset to another?

Thanks
    sigpic

Re: Question about Upgrading from 754 to 939 socket

I'm no expert but I think you'll need to do a fresh install of windows. I might suggest getting a new HDD now and use what you have as your storage drive...sounds silly but that's how I did it when I switched motherboards. I didnt' want to have to transfer all the files and documents I wanted to keep so I just started fresh and now use my old HD just for storage of media.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I would highly suggest saving everything, then reformat and have a clean fresh install of windows.

Comment

You'll have to perform a reinstall of Windows. A repair install might work but it's better to reinstall since it's such a big hardware change.

If you don't have sensitive data on a separate partition, back it up. You could also use something like Partition Magic to repartition your drive before the reinstall to save the effort of backing up data. You can move your data to the second partition and reformat the first partition for the Windows reinstall. Although, something may go wrong during the repartition process.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzid View Post
          Hey guys I have a question that I am hoping someone can answer for me. I am upgrading from an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 754 socket and an Epox SLI mobo to an AMD FX 55 2.6 gig 939 socket processor and Abit An8 32x SLI mobo. My memory, GFX cards and hard drive will be moved into the new mobo. My question is once I do the upgrade will my system boot once the install is complete? If not will a simple repair on XP do the trick? Does it make any difference that I am going from one AMD chipset to another?

Thanks
          Prepare as if you were doing a re-install, just in case. A repair-install should work. I've done this going from an old AMD K6 III to an Athlon 64. The only hardware I kept was the HD. Had to re-activate over the phone since this was a major HW change, took 15 minutes.

Here's an article on that subject.

DB
          Last edited by Dick Blonov; 12-21-2006, 09:04 AM.

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I sometimes get in a hurry when I do things like this and don't take the proper steps in preparing for the worst. I will make sure I set myself up the right way. Thanks again for the help
            sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X