Hardware Chipset Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware Chipset Questions

Well I'm putting together the list of parts needed for my next system in case this one is too expensive to repair.

My current (and temp out of commission) computer's mobo runs a Intel 895 chipset, but it seems to have problem with anything but the most generic of memory. I'm worried about going with an Intel chipset again.

I'm planning on building with the Core 2 Duo E6600 and a SATA300 hard drive.

But I have a major question, should I go with an Intel mobo chipset, nVidia mobo chipset, or a VIA mobo chipset? What are the benefits and cons with the ones stated above? And those of you who use one or the other, which one would one recommend and why.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Hardware Chipset Questions

I can't tell you why one is better than another, but I can offer my experiences. I will only buy nforce boards these days. I use to buy VIA until I had one die on me during a bios flash. I had other friends with similar problems. I've owned nforce boards since they started making them and have had zero problems with crashes or compatibility.

I don't keep up with Intel CPU's but does nvidia make a mobo for the duo's? A quick look on newegg and I didn't see any.
    flux
    [tg-c1]

Comment

I've had issues with the VIA chipset. Driver support was flaky at best.

I also lean towards the nforce boards. I've never had a problem with any nforce computer I've built.... at least not due to the chipset.

I've read that Intel has made a pretty good chipset for the core 2 duos. Had nVidia not come out with a chipset, I would have went with them. I also run a nvidia vid card so I like to stick with the same family. Sometimes you can realize performance gains.
      |TG-12th| asch
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
        Well I'm putting together the list of parts needed for my next system in case this one is too expensive to repair.

My current (and temp out of commission) computer's mobo runs a Intel 895 chipset, but it seems to have problem with anything but the most generic of memory. I'm worried about going with an Intel chipset again.

I'm planning on building with the Core 2 Duo E6600 and a SATA300 hard drive.

But I have a major question, should I go with an Intel mobo chipset, nVidia mobo chipset, or a VIA mobo chipset? What are the benefits and cons with the ones stated above? And those of you who use one or the other, which one would one recommend and why.
        A few things to consider:

Are you going cross-fire or SLI ?

Do you want quad core support ?

Want to overclock ?

Chipsets:

I always check the mobo makers QVL for memory compatibility before I pick a motherboard.

I've used the 865PE (ASUS P4P800), never had a problem with memory (even stuff with bad SPD data, different manufacturers; same density though). I now use a motherboard based on the 975X chipset (Intel BADAXE2 mobo). I use DDR2-800 OCZ memory, (2.1V, 4-4-4-12). In both cases (the 865PE and 975X), assemble parts, hit the power switch, works the first time.

I can't speak about nvidia chipsets, but I've had problems with VIA in the past. You may also want to look at ATI chipset based motherboards. Decision, decisions :)

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

@Dick Blonov
          I'm possibly going to SLI in the future. No crossfire, had enough with ATI's GPUs overheating on me.

Quad core support would be nice, but if it's not possible then I'm willing for forgoe it.

No I don't plan on OC'ing, I want that warranty intact. I've had enough hardware issues with my last 4 builds to know OC'ing would complicate matters more.

Yea, I'm definitely going to get the memory the manufacturer suggests. And I'm not quite leaning towards VIA chipset either, but I need to ask about VIA chipset b/c my only build with VIA chipset was 3 years ago.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

If you're going SLI, your best bet is a nVidia chipset. Check out the 590/680 boards and see what features you'll need. Most Core 2 boards are quad core compatible but double check just in case. It may even just be a BIOS update to get compatibility.

If you're not OC'ing, go for some DDR2-600 RAM. You might be able to save some money or get lower latency RAM. You won't need DDR2-800 unless you plan to overclock. Even then, overclocking cheaper, slower DDR2 RAM has been pretty successful.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Hmm, thanks for the replies guys. I might just go for either an Intel chipset or a nVidia chipset.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                Hmm, thanks for the replies guys. I might just go for either an Intel chipset or a nVidia chipset.
                Just so you know, the current Intel chipsets (975 & 965) do not support SLI. There are modified drivers to get SLI working since the required hardware is only two PCI-e slots. The last time I checked, the drivers were behind a major version (80's compared to 90's).

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X