Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Insight on new PC System

Hi all,

I found a deal on the following new PC, want to know what you all think if you'd be so kind.

Specs:
    ** DISREGARD this system, I posted a new custom system below...

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ (AM2)
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-M55SLI-S4 AM2 MAINBOARD 2000MHZ FSB
    4GB DDR2 PC5400 240PIN 667FSB
    GeForce nVIDIA 7600GS 512MB (SLI/HD/TV/DVI)
    320GB SERIAL ATA 7200 RPM
    6-Channel nVidia SoundStorm APU
    - No operating system, but I'll probably just grab a cheap XP Home.

EDIT: 650 Watt Powersupply

I will be able to get it for about $1500 USD
    What do you guys think?

I am fed up with my Sony PC giving me 15 FPS on BF2142.

Thanks in advance, any input would be appreciated. I'm by no means a computer guru.
    Last edited by PILOT; 12-23-2006, 08:10 PM. Reason: Change of heart...
    |TG| Pilot.

Re: Need Insight on new PC System

Go for less Ram and a better video card. Is there any reason why you're going to go with AMD rather than an Intel Core 2 Duo? The Core 2 Duo's are better than the AMD X2s. Power supply?

I built my PC around Sept/Oct of this year:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400+Thermaltake heatsink/fan
    ASUS P5N-SLI MB socket 775
    2GB RAM
    Geforce 7900GS
    320GB HD
    Soundblaster audigy 4
    MSI 550 watt power supply
    Case and DVD drives

I spent about $850.

With a budget of $1500 you could easily get a Geforce 8800 with a set up like mine, and you'll get a PC with much better performance than one with the components you've listed.

Comment

Thanks for the input! This system is on eBay, and is somewhat limited to customization. The 4GB of ram really stood out.

Newegg.com seems to be a good spot. I built the EXACT same PC, and it came out to be a few bucks cheaper than what the seller on eBay has it going for. If I go with Newegg, I can cut out some RAM, get a better vid card and mobo (one that will support future quad sli or processors, or whatever you call it!).

So Intel Core Duo beats AMD X2 eh? Interesting, I may have to tweak the shopping cart a wee bit now.

AHHH! I just noticed that Newegg does not ship to Canada. Any Canadians have a similar site they use?
      |TG| Pilot.

Comment

PLEASE REVIEW THE SYSTEM IN THIS POST

In the meantime, who recommends water cooling? Im trying to eliminate dust form the internals, we use wood heat here so dust isn't a stranger.

----------------------
        New System
        ----------------------
        Processor:
        Intel Core 2 Duo E6700

Mobo:
        Asus P5NSLI Socket 775 nVidia nForce 570 SLI Intel Edition Chipset Dual-Channel DDR2 533/667 Gigabit Lan 6-Channel SoundMax Audio Dual PCI-Express Graphics Slots SLI Ready Support Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

Vid Card:
        XFX GeForce 7900 GS (480MHz) 256MB GDDR3 (1.4GHz) RoHS ExTreme PCI-Express Graphic Card

HDD:
        Western Digital (WD3200KS) Caviar 320GB SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Buffer (OEM)

RAM:
        Corsair DDR2 PC2-5400 667MHz Value Select 2GB KIT (2X1024MB) 240-pin Unbuffered DIMM (VS2GBKIT667D2)

Case:
        No idea/undecided - something fairly cheap, yet effective

Optical Drives:
        DVD+R/RW 18x - undecided yet
        DVD-ROM - undecided

Power Supply:
        Thermaltake Silent PurePower W01129RU 600W SLI/Cross-Fire ATX 12V 2.2 version.

Cooling:
        CPU Fan - Cooler Master Eclipse CPU Fan
        Water Cooling? Need to do more research...
        |TG| Pilot.

Comment

Get a case that has filters on the intake fans. I'm not sure that watercooling will eliminate dust, since air still moves through your case due to the power supply. But, I guess watercooling has other benefits.

Comment

I'd cut the processor to the E6600 and get a better video card. Of course that is if you'll use this for more gaming than rendering/encoding

Comment

There is not much better he could go on the vid card and still be cost-effective. A 7900gs is the best buy of the 7-series. That said, the 8800GTS is getting more and more affordable every day.

If you are not in a hurry to upgrade, I would postpone this for 2 months and then get one of the DX10 cards at a better price.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys.

I didnt realize the price difference between the 6600 and 6700! Wow, Im glad you pointed that out. One of my paintball friends owns a computer shop, so I have him on my mission now.

I am in a bit of a hurry. Like I said, 15 FPS is driving me insane. Ill stick with the 7900GS and grab a DX10 card when they go down in price, a year or so Im thinking.

XP Home, or XP Pro? Now that is my next question... Im thinking Pro - no real intentions on grabbing Vista when it comes out.
                |TG| Pilot.

Comment

Go with Vista and a DX10 system, as per my post above.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

If you can't spend the cash for a DX10 card, think about upgrading to one after mid 2007. Sell your 7900 on RFD (Canadian Deals/Buy/Sell/Trade site) and use that to upgrade.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                      If you can't spend the cash for a DX10 card, think about upgrading to one after mid 2007. Sell your 7900 on RFD (Canadian Deals/Buy/Sell/Trade site) and use that to upgrade.
                      That's exactly what I was planning on doing. Thanks for the link on RFD!

Edit - I just bought my BFG7900GS on canadacomputers.com for $159. Boxing day sale. Also grabbed the G5 mouse too, so I can do some finger weight lifting :P
                      Last edited by PILOT; 12-25-2006, 07:59 PM. Reason: update
                      |TG| Pilot.

Comment

Are you still considering water cooling? I haven't looked up on any of that stuff. A friend's brother has a water cooled PC and it's whisper quiet. I'm not sure about how often the reservoir has to be refilled/changed though. It would be a nice option to eliminate noise and dust.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I am considering it. I'll see what my friend says about it. Ive heard both pros and cons. Will definitely let you know!
                          |TG| Pilot.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X