Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help picking out a video card, please :-)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help picking out a video card, please :-)

I have a gateway that has the nVidia GeForce 6150LE integrated graphics.

Here's the product page: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1155848397598

So, I want to know which type of graphics cards will work w/ the mobo. I'm looking at the GeForce 7600GT, will that work?

And, if so, what do you think about this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150182

Thanks!!!
    Lookin fwd to getting back on the battlefield!

Re: Need help picking out a video card, please :-)

Looks like you've done your homework. PCI Express - Check. That's a good card but if you can swing your budget up a bit I'd look at athe 7900, 7900GT or 7950 or 7950GT.

I"m an evga fan so I've linked a newegg page with said vid cards

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SubCategory=48
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I don't think I can swing quite that high. It should play BF 2142 with mostly high settings, though, according to some of the newegg customer reviews.

So, basically, I can use any GeForce card on the system?

Thanks!

Comment

You can't go $30 more for this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130056
        It's quite a bit better.

Comment

Hmm, I dunno. I'll see. That one was already kind of stretching it. It's a late Christmas present for me (since I just now decided I want to do this).

So, it's better just because of the number of pixel pipelines?

It's actually slower in core and memory clock speeds.. is that not a big deal?

Comment

Well, that plus a memory bus that is twice as wide (256bit versus 128bit on the 7600GT) more than make up for slower core and memory clocks. Remember, performance is not all about clock speed. If that were the case, then those Pentium 4/D 3.0+Ghz would beat out all of the slower clocked AMD and Core 2 Duos chips; but they don't.
            http://www.legitreviews.com/article/384/1/
            Last edited by sordavie; 12-24-2006, 09:21 AM.

Comment

XFX GeForce 7900GS 256MB DDR3 450Mhz PCI Express x16 Video Card $129.99 AR & GCO

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...highlight=7900

Shipping is free too.
              |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Yeah but he'd still have to pay the $190 up front which he said he could barely swing $150 in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                  You can't go $30 more for this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130056
                  It's quite a bit better.
                  Ok, I talked to the moms and she said to go ahead with the better one!
                  I decided to go w/ this one, though, since I am familiar w/ Newegg, and eVGA.

Thanks everybody!

Comment

How do I tell if I have a 400 W power supply? Just open her up, and see what the PS says?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDudeBT View Post
                      How do I tell if I have a 400 W power supply? Just open her up, and see what the PS says?

Yep, should say right on there. It probably won't be 400W though. Retail computers usually come with PSs that supply just enough power for the system specs--after all, why would the manufacturer pay for a more expensive part if the system doesn't need it? But you should be able to get by on a 350W PS or maybe even 300W depending on how much stuff you have in there.

Comment

Bleeh, what was going to be just around $100 has turned into probly $250.

So, I think I'm going to go ahead and order the video card. Install it in my system (it is a 300 W power supply). Get it up and running, then, later see what my friend can get me a power supply for, and get him to help me install it.

Do you think/ know if it will run ok for that period of time on the 300 W PS?

Comment

I'd guess it will probably run if you don't already have a bunch of peripherals running off your PSU. Good luck...Keep us posted.
                          sigpic
                          |TG-1st|Grunt
                          ARMA Admin (retired)
                          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDudeBT View Post
                            Bleeh, what was going to be just around $100 has turned into probly $250.

So, I think I'm going to go ahead and order the video card. Install it in my system (it is a 300 W power supply). Get it up and running, then, later see what my friend can get me a power supply for, and get him to help me install it.

Do you think/ know if it will run ok for that period of time on the 300 W PS?
                            Check out this neat Calculator. Nice find by PanzerHans.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I slapped one of my evga 7800gt's into my roommate's Gateway w/a 250w psu and it runs flawlessly. He doesn't have anything else that sucks up much juice and the card works fine in his pc. You should be good to go w/300w. (I'm taking my card out soon though, I want my SLI back!)
                              |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                              [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...